3. Spark

Claudia Gajos-Stilinski knew her little girl was special.
And not in the way that all parents thought their children were.

The thing was Claudia was aware that she was supposed to die an early death. But as the years passed her illness did not revisit.

Claudia could think of one possibility, the pack bond she felt thrumming in her chest. Keeping her from fading. But it was all rather impossible, for she had not submitted to any Alpha except there was Stiles...

The thing was every matriarch of her Gajos family who did not use their spark ended up in an early grave. She'd run away from her responsibility to marry Noah. But she'd read the stories, when she was younger.

As Claudia sat looking upon the man that Stiles never failed to mention, she felt the bond between the two of them. And she noticed how the man was healing, quicker than others in his same situation would have. No more bandages on his face. He wasn't an Alpha, Claudia would have sensed that which brought her back to Stiles.

There were legends of sparks who had formed their own packs but the Gajos line had only ever aided packs as temporary emissaries.

I suppose it's time for me to reach out to my own family, Claudia sighed.

---

Stella stood before an old woman she just was introduced to as the matriarch of the Gajos family. The woman definitely did not look like a great-grandmother. Barely a wrinkle in sight, and only a sprinkle of silver across her hairline.

Stella tried her best not to shuffle her feet as the staring match continued.

At last the silence was broken, "She's not a spark."

Claudia sighed out in relief.

Stella glanced at her and wrinkled her brow, this wasn't something that was touched on in the other Stiles memories. What was a spark?

"She created a pack bond though."

"Yes how did you do that, girl?"

Stella remained quiet, no good would come about from telling her secret.

"We can't protect you, unless you tell us what you are."

This time Stella did shuffle her feet, looking nervously to the ground.

"Maybe she doesn't know."

The grandfather clock in the corner ticked and silence was deafening.

"She knows." The matriarch continued.

Stella let out a long breath, "You must promise by whatever power you have that you won't tell others. It is better for me to have this spark."

She waited until both her mother and the matriarch promised.

"When I wish for things, they come true."
Stella tightened her hands at her side, "There are things I'll never wish for, because they are dangerous. But..." She took a breath, "this is how I created the pack bond with mom, dad and Peter."

"Stiles, did you cure me?"

Stella nodded, "I wished for your mind to heal."

The matriarch steepled her hands, her gaze bright.
"You my dear are something that's only a myth."

Stella tilted her head to the side.

"A Fae Chosen." The matriarch nodded, "You are right to be careful with your wishes. A fae's chosen, or tempest, is as much for the fairy's entertainment than anything. To wish anything too complicated or grand would only cause great mischief and mayhem."  Her golden eyes narrowed, "The girl should come live with us."

"No." Stella spoke her voice firm, "I promised Peter  I'd stay by his side. I'm not leaving."

"You'll need to do your matriarch training."

"But I'm not a spark."

The matriarch sighed, "Merely wish for it."

Stella pursed her lips, "What would that entail?"

And thus began the lessons.