2

"Maya, I'm nervous."

"Ry, it's going to be fun! I promise..." 

"...and if it's not you owe me." I reply, smiling deviously. 

---

Doing my makeup is one of the joys in my life. Curling my lashes, cautiously lining my undereye with eyeliner, and perfecting my lipliner as many times as it takes to make it perfect, makes me happier than most things. 

Even on a flight, 36,000 feet in the air. 

Maya has her airpods in, scrolling through Pinterest to get F1 Grand Prix outfit ideas as I finish my look with some setting spray - it was nothing too dramatic - just a natural look. I couldn't believe that my first flight is to Miami for a Formula One race. Not that it's a bad thing, but F1 was always Mayas' thing, even with my racing experience.

As the flight starts descending, I jump to the feeling of my ears popping. Maya shoots me a laugh, "you never get used to it." 

I smile back.

"No way -"

"What? I can't smile at you?"

"No, do you remember my ex Jeremiah?" She says, staring at her phone.

"Umm yeah, why?"

"He's in Miami this weekend."

"Maya no."

"Ry. He was born into a huge F1  family - he can get us connections... maybe we could get better seats." Maya says, smiling with hope. "I'm texting him whether you want me to or not." she continues, dropping her smile.

"You are crazy."

I quickly touch up my blush before I throw my makeup back into my bag. As the flight lands, I grab Maya's hand and squeeze it.  Maya has been on many flights before, so she wasn't as nervous as I was. She shot me a comforting smile. It was nice knowing that I had the bestest friend in the whole world, and here we were in Miami, Florida.