3

"Sooo, wait. Our room is booked?"

"Yes, it seems it must be. This must have been a mistake with the staff from the previous shift. I will talk to the manager and let you girls know what we can do for you." The receptionist says as she smiles, picking up the phone and dialing a number.

Maya turns to me, "Sorry Ry, my dad booked this room weeks ago, I'm not sure what's happening."

"It's okay. Hopefully they'll figure it out."

Her mouth forms a line, "yeah."

---

"Thank you so much for your patience ladies. Here at The Grand Celestia, we value our customers and I want to ensure that you two receive the best service in Miami. We were able to get you both into one of our Penthouse Suites. Have a great stay!" the receptionist exclaims as she hands us the keys, in almost a robotic fashion. Maya and I slightly giggle at each other, knowing we'll be talking about that later.

As we enter our room, we immediately throw down our belongings to jump on the beds. "We're in Miami!" I shout as we both chuckle. I fall back, landing on the queen bed beneath me. The white sheets slowly engulf me into the bed as the mattress memorizes my anatomy. The modern look of the hotel was entirely new to me. Being from a small town, I wasn't used to the "new" look. Older buildings with creaky floorboards and cheap couches is much more familiar to me.

Maya, a friend I recently made in college, quickly became one of my closest friends. We were soulmates. She was from a much larger town, from a much wealthier family. I've never traveled much - even in my own state - so for Maya to invite me, meant the world.

"I seriously don't know what I am going to wear." Maya states.

"Didn't you plan your outfit before we came?" I ask, sitting up. 

"Yes. BUT, I hate it now..."

"Well not to brag, but I know exactly what I am wearing." I laugh, standing up to open my suitcase. I pull out a black baby tee, a blue jean mini skirt, black adidas sambas, and white ankle socks. 

"I'm going to kill you Ry Lee."

"HELLO?"

"That's such a cute outfit. I'm going to have to go to the mall, stat." Maya says, getting up to pack her purse. We both chuckle. I shove my clothes back into my suitecase, smiling, thinking about the next few days. 

If I didn't know Maya, I would probably mistake her for Sabrina Carpenter. The warm blonde with rosey cheecks and blue eyes could have anyone fooled. I, on the other hand, was her complete opposite: brunette hair, brown eyes, and dull skin. I was a little tanner than Maya but not by too much. 

We were roommates freshmen year of university. I vividly remember getting the run down of each F1 race that year from her. It was a complete different world from the racing I was used to. 

Our similarities kept us close, but our differences kept us closer. 

-

I'm not sure if it's from the flight or being this far from home, but as Maya gets ready to leave for the mall, I begin to feel sick to my stomach. I wasn't sure if it was nerves about being so far from my family, recovery from the flight, or if I just forgot to eat today.

"Maya, I might have to sit the mall trip out. I am not feeling too well."

"Oh gosh, that's okay!! I know Miami like the back of my hand so don't worry. Is there anything I can get you?" She yells from the bathroom, fixing the curls in her hair.

I smile at the gesture. "No, it's okay. I'll probably just hang here, maybe explore the hotel some. Please text me or call me at any point if anything happens. Share your location too."

"I will. See you soon Ry. I'll send pics!" She exclaims as she leaves the hotel room. 

-----

hiii!!! sorry for what seems like such a long introduction to the plot, i just want to really introduce the characters before we get to the fun stuff!! bare with me !! 

thanks for reading, make sure to follow, vote, and comment for more!!

it really helps and i appreciate it so much <3