4

The elevator ride down is faster than I anticipate and my stomach flips the way it would on a drop tower.

Exiting the elevator, I stop at the hotel's beverage cart and grab a strawberry-lime water. Between the drop tower elevator and the strawberry-lime water, I was already feeling somewhat better. As the sun began to set and night began to darken, the hotel became more lively. Voices from every corner of the hotel lobby echo throughout the room. It was certainly not helping my pounding headache.

I escape out the back door of the building to sit on a picnic bench, illuminated by the aqua-blue light from the outdoor pool. A few adults were swimming in the pool, but they weren't loud enough to drown out the sounds of the pool itself. The only other recognizable sound was the nearby beach. The ocean breeze follows as the waves crash, slipping through my walnut-brown hair. I stare into the distance for a moment, allowing the peace of the moment to consume me.

I put my hair into a claw clip, bringing forward two strands of hair on each side. My pink sweatshirt and grey sweat-shorts appear blue in the light. As I elongate the sleeves of my sweater to go over the palms of my hands, I feel a shiver slide down my spine and grab my cup - ready to go inside. 

"Excuse me," I hear a voice from behind me. I immediately jump. The voice is soft, but has an accent that I couldn't quite make out.

"Did I scare you?" he snickers, "My jumper is beneath the table." the same voice states, pointing under the bench I was sitting on. He is British, whoever he is.

"Oh, I'm so sorry." I apologize as I hand him the black sweater that's decorated with a McLaren logo. "Are you here for the Grand Prix?" I ask.

 McLaren was the only team I knew outside of Redbull and Ferrari. Those were Maya's top three.

As our hands briefly touch, I look up to him. His mouth splits into a wide grin as his eyes twinkle in the blue lighting.

He laughs, "Yeah... I'll definitely be there. Are you going?"

"Yeah, it's actually my first time going to one. My best friend is a big fan." I feel my stomach start to turn again as I talk to him. This time it wasn't out of pain or anxiety, but purely out of nervousness. 

"Good. Maybe I'll see you there." he winks and walks off back into the building.

Who the hell is this?