"I came with a job offer." Jason fumbled for a second, before straightening himself out with a slight look, making Bruce chuckle. "I know. My third son made a comment about how it may seem demeaning, given that you are a highly successful businessman yourself. I apologize if that's the case. I assure you I do not mean to discredit you at all. In fact, it is because of your skills I wanted to offer you the job."

"I'm not working for Wayne Enterprises." Jason had to make sure it was known, right off the bat. He was going to be firm on this point. He wasn't going to work for anyone. He worked his ass off to get to where he was now. He wasn't just going to hand it all over to anyone, not even Bruce. "And I'm not handing over rights to the Haven or any part of the Johnson Reformation Projects."

"No. No. I would never ask anything like that of you. I've heard the interviews you've given about all that you've done. I know it's important. No. My job offer is more personal and has nothing to do with WE, I can promise you that." Jason just stared at the older man in disbelief. What was even happening right now? He had assumed that Bruce was here about some sort of event. He knew that the replacement's birthday was coming up and that they usually held a gala for it every year. He wasn't expecting this.

"And what exactly is this offer then? I must admit I am very confused." Bruce simply chuckled watching as Jason absentmindedly tidied up.

"I want you to work for me at Wayne Manor." The sound of crashing erupted in the air as Jason froze stiffly. Warm smoke... the feeling of well-loved paper under his fingertips... soft worn hands against his cheek... chocolate and spice... home. 

"I'm sorry." Jason choked trying to pull himself out of the Sense Memories invading his mind. "You want me to what?"

"I would like to hire you on to work as personal staff at the Manor, as well as being hired for events that I would host. However, I would pay you for the events separately from the staffing position." Bruce continued on, and Jason wasn't sure if Bruce was oblivious to the way Jason was spiraling or if he was just ignoring it in true Bruce fashion. There was no way this was actually happening right? "On paper, the position would mostly be an In-house Chef position and event coordinator, but in all honestly the job would have you assisting my current buttler with his tasks."

"Wait. Wait, hold on." Jason's mind was completely spacing. "Is this some sort of rich person hazing?" The question was out of his mouth before he could even really think about it. Bruce just blinked, startled into silence as Jason struggled to get his thoughts in order. "I mean... It's a well-known fact that there hasn't been any staff hired on to the Wayne estate since the passing of Thomas and Martha Wayne. You've even made several comments about it in the past when some stupid reporter started to dig for anything they could ask. And the one staff member you have is even more mysterious than the family itself."

"Well, I wouldn't say that..."

"Pardon my audacity, Mr. Wayne, but I am an Ally Brat and we are not ones to trust easily. I find it highly suspect that after decades of refusing to hire any outside help or additional In-house staffing, you decided randomly that you wanted me as your chef. Especially considering that I do run a multi-million dollar business. I may not be at the level of Wayne Enterprises or even Drake Industries when they were around, but I am a well-known business. And for some reason, you decided that must make me worthy of working at Wayne Manor as your chef and event coordinator?" Jason could tell his voice was harsh. The words tasted like burnt chocolate on his tongue. He wasn't angry. He didn't really understand what was going on to even be angry. But he was confused and a bit miffed over the situation as a whole. He couldn't understand Bruce's thoughts enough to figure out how they got here.

"I understand the confusion." Bruce started, with a slight pinch in his brow. Most might think he was angry but Jason had seen it enough in his past to know it meant Bruce was at a loss for words and didn't know how to convey his thoughts properly. "I had attempted to hire on additional staffing for a while now, however, I could never find people that would work with what I needed. Not only that, of course, but I would be trusting this person with my children's health and wellbeing. I've looked into you and of your achievements for The Ally. Not only are your professional achievements quite astounding, and was what first drew me to consider you, but also your work with the JRP, the way you care for the homeless children of The Ally, and how you've protected those who come to you for help. I have no doubt that you would do well with this position."