chapter 1

You’re sitting on the porch of the Greene family fram, feeling the sun caress your skin. You felt grateful to the Greene family for taking your group in, just as the group had done months ago to you. Leaning back against the post, you think back to how you had been alone, lost, and scared in the woods when the group happened come upon you. It had been Daryl who had found you first, almost shot you in the head with his crossbow when you were following a bunny, hoping to find some food to eat. It was lucky you had sworn out of surprise when you did, or else the next arrow he had loaded would have been for you. They accepted you into the group, although these days you saw the group hardening becoming more scared of strangers than they were before. The Greene family reminded you more of simpler times. You wanted to cherish that and stay here as long as you could. Although you knew once they found Sophia, it would mean the road again.

You wanted to find her too, but you were stuck on the “women’s work" of the camp. It frustrated you to no end, more than you would know. You know what that little girl was going through. You so desperately wanted her to be found safe. You didn't want to leave, but you hated to think what would have happened if you hadn't been found.

On your left a woman walked towards the house, it was Carol, you could tell from her posture that Carol was crying again, you hopped off the railing to go over and comfort her, she wasn't crying much but you could see tears on her face, “Shh, there there Carol, it’s ok..she’s a smart girl…and we are gonna find her" You say, rubbing her shoulder trying to soothe her. “No, no Olivia its Daryl", she sniffles and clarifies for you, “He got angry with me, I was only trying to help him see the reality, he got mad and threw the saddle and stormed off and I worry he hurt himself more because of my stupidity. I can’t lose him, too. " She pushes you away “I just need to lay down,"she says as she brushes past you to the camp. Slightly bewildered at what must have happened you decide to go down to the horse barn anyway to clean up, the Greene’s took you in and you don’t want them to think your group is making a mess of their property.

Besides , you really needed something to do other than think all day about what was or could have been. You push open the corral door slowly, still timid about walkers being around. You check the barn once you see its clear you start gathering the things Daryl had thrown about trying to place things in what you assumed were their appropriate places. Realizing quickly, you really had no idea where things were supposed to hang as you were not a farmers kid. “I guess good intentions only go so far," you mused to the horse that was staring at you. It snorted in response. You turned and went to the saddle.

It was the last thing to pick up, “holy shit, this fucker is heavier than I thought" You twist around looking for where to put the saddle, the horse snorts at you again “well aren't you helpful" you say, walking over to the horse heaving the leather saddle higher up in your arms for a better grip. “Hmm? where does this go, eh?" you say, lifting up the saddle to the horses face. Suddenly, you lose grip on it, and it comes crashing towards your face. You try to regain your hold on it, but you start to fall backward “Shit!" You say as you know the inevitable is about to happen.