1. DAISY

Just breathe.

I sucked in a deep breath and slowly blew it out. It did nothing to calm my racing heart. My legs felt like jelly and I was sure that I was shaking like a leaf. I didn't do well in stressful situations. In fact, I didn't do well in any situation that included dealing with people.

Mother had told me that some important people were going to be at the house for dinner and that father expected me to join them.

I had been dressed like a doll by the maids per her instructions to make sure that I didn't end up ruining anything.

The dress was uncomfortable, the material made my skin itch, and the shoes were a size too small.

Everything I was wearing had been handpicked by my mother. Which was another indication of how important the dinner was for them.

I sucked in another deep breath and pressed a shaky hand to my stomach. They were waiting for me in the dining room. I was running late even though I had been dressed an hour before the set time for dinner to start.

Nerves kept me locked in my room until I had managed to give myself a small pep talk. But the courage I had gathered flew out the window when I reached the landing and heard the rich baritones of strangers coming from the room.

The dining room door suddenly opened, making me jerk in fright.

My sister came to a halt when she spotted me. Her lips twisted into a sneer before they curled into a sweet smile.

My heartbeat instantly increased when she crossed the floor.

"We have been waiting for you," she said loudly enough for the guest and our parents to hear. "Come on honey! I'm starving."

She gripped my wrist and tugged me in the direction she came from.

I felt sick.

"There she is!" Father clapped his hands twice. "Daisy is the youngest of our family and unfortunately always late. Once again, I apologize for the long wait ladies and gentlemen. But now that she's here, dinner can be served."

I was pushed down into an empty chair just as the maids entered the room and started serving the food.

My fingers rubbed at my wrist under the table, trying to relieve the lingering pain of my sister's fingernails.

I bit my lip as I stared down at the plate that had been placed in front of me. The smell made me feel sicker. I hated fish and my father knew it.

Was he waiting for me to embarrass him so he could punish me?

With shaky hands, I reached for my knife and fork.

Conversation flowed around the table. Nobody bothered to include me and I was perfectly fine with that. I had nothing to say and I was too busy focusing on cutting the fish into small pieces so it looked like I was eating.

But, I made the mistake of raising my head.

Sky blue eyes instantly caught mine, making the air lock in my lungs. They held me captive. He was all I could see.

The man with pale skin, sky blue eyes, and a scar that covered half of his left face. His hair was light brown and curly but despite that, it fit him perfectly.

I smiled at him and surprisingly, he smiled back.

Until our little stare was broken by my sister. She nudged me painfully in the ribs, forcing my eyes away from the man and towards her. Leaning closer, she pressed her lips to my ear.