Chapter 27 - Function Interlude

A/N: This chapter took a while - I've been a little busy these days, so updates will be slower >~<

......

Halfway through the event, the tables and chairs were shifted aside to make room for a dancefloor.

Landon smiled widely at Olwen and held out a hand. Aaron and Kylie were nowhere in sight by now, and he wanted to make use of this reprieve as much as possible.

"May I have this dance, Luna Olwen?"

Olwen grinned back and accepted her mate's hand with a small bow.

"I would love to dance with you, Alpha Landon."

A group of the most talented pack musicians played a soft jazzy piece as Landon and Olwen joined a couple of other waltzing pairs. 

Olwen gently placed a hand on Landon's shoulder, both his hands grasping her hips as they moved as one.

Dancing was something that Lunas were expected to do at events, and as such it had been one of the few hobbies Olwen had managed to retain and hone even back at the Silver Arrow Pack. And now, it did her favours.

With the gracefulness of a swan, Luna Olwen twirled and swayed with her mate - Alpha Landon was not a bad dance partner himself. They'd had frequent practice before the function, but were able to make their movements more fluid and almost natural. It attracted the attention of most onlookers in the hall, including the other dancing couples on the floor. And when Alpha Landon took Luna Olwen's waist and delicately lifted her off the ground, spinning her effortlessly before lowering her back down with the same care, there was an audible collective gasp from around them.

"For someone who doesn't really like dancing a lot, you're doing a good job at it." Olwen commented softly as she circled him, Landon turning then to grasp her waist once more before they swayed together. He flushed slightly in response.

"It helps that I have a talented dancer for a mate." His smile turned into a smirk. "I wouldn't mind seeing more of that in private..."

Olwen emitted a mock scandalised gasp before smacking him lightly in the shoulder, making him laugh.

"Don't say things like that out here! We're supposed to be dignified."

"Perhaps...but when it all comes down to it, we're still two newly mated wolves." Landon grinned at her, holding and moving her down into a smooth dip, Olwen's brown hair rippling behind her like a beautiful wave. Her hands subconsciously grasped tighter around Landon's shoulders, but as she stared into his blue eyes she knew for certain he wouldn't drop her.

He brought her back up and closer to him, Olwen resting her head on his shoulder as they danced.

"So...how is your first Pack function as Luna of the Moon River Pack?" He murmured into her ear.

Olwen smiled and gave a soft nod.

"...I could get used to it."

Neither of them mentioned anything of it, but her talk with Aaron earlier, where she expressed gratitude for his unfaithfulness towards her was probably the thing she was most proud of in her life up until that point.

And Kylie's face...Olwen couldn't help cracking a smile at the memory. Kylie hadn't stolen anything from her - technically, what she had actually done was pick up Olwen's trash. If Aaron had been more loyal and accepting of Olwen, then he wouldn't have cheated on her, and if Alpha Bradley had been a good leader he wouldn't have threatened exile on Olwen just to cover up for his son. Had she stayed and become Luna of the Silver Arrow Pack, Olwen most likely wouldn't be as well respected or loved as she was as Luna of the Moon River Pack.