07

Sunday evening, the entire family was at the dining room table eating dinner. Crystal and Devale were exchanging looks across the table. She knew that he'd read her journal entry that she slipped under his pillow. He wanted to know if that was the only way she felt like she could talk to him. But, he was happy that she was able to talk about it in general.

"Alright I'm done," Terrell said standing up with plate.

"You're full? Are you sure?" Crystal asked her son.

He nodded his head and turned to go into the kitchen.

"Are you guys gonna adopt him?" Anita asked Devale and Crystal.

They looked at each other without speaking.

"I don't know." Crystal spoke up. "I want to but his mom is still in the picture and I think at some point he might want to go back to her." She admitted shaking her head.

"You think so?" Devale asked.

Crystal nodded. That was how she always felt.

"He's not a baby. He's a teenager, he should be capable of having an open and honest conversation about that." Jerry said looking at his daughter.

"I don't want to scare him or make him feel like we're his only option."

"Right now you are." Anita said bluntly.

"I would never go back to my mom." Terrell said popping up out of nowhere.

He was in the kitchen and could hear the entire conversation. It bothered him that Crystal needed so much reassurance. She was acting like SHE was the foster child.

"I like living with you guys. That why I get so mad every time he says I can leave because I don't want to leave. It hurts my feelings..." Terrell said looking directly at Devale.

Crystal knew that all those times Devale threatened Terrell would come back to bite him in the ass. Boys are typically closer to their dads and it wasn't any different with Terrell just because he wasn't Devale biological son. He loves Devale and Crystal like any kid loves their mom and dad.

"Well it's never my intention to hurt your feelings. You know I would hate it if you actually left." Devale told Terrell.

"Would you?" Terrell asked not believing Devale.

"Yeah I would." Devale answered.

Terrell stayed silent. He nodded his head and walked out the dining room. He went upstairs to his room and stayed there for the rest of the night.

After everyone was done with dinner, they got up and the kids ready for bed. Crystals parents helped with Angel and Bella, while Crystal and Deal got Jayla and DJ ready for bed.

"Mommy how long are nana and papa staying with us?" DJ asked Crystal.

"They'll be here for a while to help out. So mommy can get some sleep." Crystal told him. "Like you need to do, you have school tomorrow." She said kissing him.

"Okay. Night night." DJ said getting under his covers.

"Night night baby." She said standing up to dim the lights.

She walked out the room and closed his door. She went to her bedroom and saw Devale sitting on the bed. He was watching her parents through the cameras placed strategically in each of the kids bedrooms.

"Are you watching my parents?" Crystal asked giggling.

"Yes," Devale said showing her Bella and Jerry. "Look she's loving the head rubs. Now she's gonna want us to rub her head to go to sleep." He said shaking his head.