(Short) Hephaestus's tinkering

After Hephaestus let Bell Domnus and Hestia into the mansion Hephaestus ran up to her smithery with the netherite sword.

Heating up her forge she wanted heat the sword to the point where she could began working with it. Hephaestus wanted to know the point which it heated up so she could compare it to the other metals she knows.

After setting the sword in her forge she realized she had left a book sitting out.

Picking up the book once more she skimmed the page she left in looking for the previous sentence she was on.

The book was about a princess with a curse, the curse affected her face making her revolting to look at.

Every day the princess would sit in a tower with a mask on, refusing to see anyone before a hero came into the tower. The hero looked past her face and saw a beautiful princess.

There was more to the story but Hephaestus was still reading the book. After reading a few more pages Hephaestus remembered that the sword was still in the forge.

Rushing to the forge Hephaestus noticed that the sword had not even turned red from the heat. The netherite sword was still black from the tip to the hilt.

Grabbing tongs Hephaestus took the sword out of the forge wanted to cool it off to see what the heat did to it so she carefully put the sword into the water, but nothing happened, not a bubble not a  hiss.

Taking the sword out of the water Hephaestus took a closer look at it noticing that the only thing that changed about the sword was it was now wet.

Putting the sword back in the forge the water evaporated due to the heat. Keeping her eyes on the sword this time Hephaestus stared at the sword for a while.

With the moon hanging full in the sky Hephaestus gave up on the sword and took off her eye patch to look at the sword with her good eye.

She would rather test the metal than cheat with her eye but whatever the sword was made of refused to be heated, which caused her curiosity to come out and check it out.

With a single glance at the sword Hephaestus knew that the metal of the sword was actually an alloy, a mix between two metals. The alloy had gold and something else in it.

That something else was the main reason for its extreme heat resistance. But what that something was Hephaestus didn't know. She knows all the uses for it, but the name and where it came from completely evaded her.

With a heavy sigh Hephaestus put down the sword knowing that she aught to be heading to bed. Tomorrow is another day and she could just ask Domnus then.