Chapter 27

"Muwahahaha! It's finally finished!" Kara said and pushed herself away from the controls. "Want to be there when he wakes up again?"

At her side, Danette Reilly gave her an odd look, but Kara didn't mind. Sometimes, she just felt like laughing after working, nobody would sue her for it.

The android nodded her head. She was wearing civilian clothes rather than her superhero outfit, had also cut her hair short and had a haunted look on her face, something that Kara hadn't been able to remedy in only a few days.

With the Morrow android's knowledge, Kara had managed to reactivate both Red Torpedo and Firebrand. The first had wanted nothing to do with superheroes, while the second was... complicated.

Danette had woken up startled, thinking she was still back in 1945 and having just taken a shot meant for Flash. Finding out she was currently more than sixty years in the future had been hard; finding out she was an android, even harder.

The young woman was confused, distraught and highly emotional, refusing to meet anyone and keeping close to Red Torpedo since Kara had reactivated him.

The old man was another story. Dr. Lockhart had an entire human life of experiences to draw upon in order to calm himself, a lifetime as a doctor, where he had faced death and grief quite a few times. He also had nearly a month of time to think about his new situation, even if that time was under Prof. Morrow's control.

He had acted as a touchstone for Danette, but really, he wanted nothing more than to go back to his normal life, to the point that he had begged Kara to reapply his synthetic skin as soon as possible. He also wanted to look old instead of returning to his prime.

Although... he did ask Kara to modify the part of his programming that gave him arthritis. Apparently, he was willing to miss out on that part of being old.

The two of them quickly entered the operating room to find Dr. Lockhart just as he was putting on his coat. "How do you feel?"

"Old, grumpy, strange. Humph, thanks." The old man grumbled and nodded towards her. "I don't think I'll ever be the same again but... it's good to be able to at least pretend to be human again."

"I could give you the back pain back if you want, or the deteriorating vision, for realism?" Kara offered with a smirk.

"No thanks." The old man combed his gray hairs and then looked at Danette. "Thanks for keeping me company, didn't think I'd have a family at my age."

"Seventy isn't that old, Brother." Dannete said with a shrug.

"I'll go prepare the teleporter. You two can talk, but try not to take too long, I don't want to be here for much longer." Kara said as she started to walk away.

"Humph, supervillains and moon bases, I'm too old for this shit."

Making an effort not to listen, Kara walked towards the teleport room on her moon base and started getting it ready. Since she had last been here, the moon base had grown from a single room into a moderately sized installation.

With Lobo still after her, Kara hadn't dared to come here alone. The man was known as one of the best bounty hunters in the galaxy, and one capable of tracking his prey anywhere, but, with Dr. Lockhart begging her, she had decided to take the chance anyway.

All of her advances on the synthetic skin and touch receptors had stayed on the ship after all, as well as her supply of the materials needed. In truth, it's not like the Fortress couldn't replicate those components, but it would take time and resources best used elsewhere.

Kara decided that the short trip wouldn't be too risky and, even if Lobo could track her there, she had her armor now, as well as Red Torpedo and Firebrand for backup.