Chapter 31

Kara sat on the sofa and stared at Dinah Lance, better known as the Black Canary. She knew it was kind of rude to be using the woman's true name instead of her heroic one but, well, Dinah didn't wear a damn mask so she couldn't blame anyone for doing an internet search.

Dinah stared back at Kara, her legs crossed in front of her and an empty notebook lying untouched on top of her lap.

Kara stared at Dinah, letting the time on her consultation freely tick by, even if she knew she should be talking.

Dinah stared at her, willing to let Kara gather her thoughts, and courage, to finally start talking.

Ugh, so awkward. Kara sighed and scratched at her itching prosthetic eye, touching its surface and moving it slightly, using the prosthetic to scratch at the back of her eye.

Dinah grimaced, shivered, then couldn't help but turn away and avoid looking at the uncomfortable image. "Ha!"

Dinah sighed. Uncrossing her legs, she leaned forwards and smiled at Kara. "Alright, you made me uncomfortable too. Are you ready to begin now?"

She wasn't, not really, even if Kara knew she should. It's not like she hadn't gone to a psychologist in her previous life. It had even worked back then, somewhat.

"Yeah, I guess. Where should I start?" Kara lay down on the sofa, her head resting against its arm.

"How about you start with the reason you decided to see me." Dinah reclined back on her chair, but her eyes never left Kara's.

"Well, Kori and Kal were about to organize an intervention, I really didn't want that, so I decided to face the music."

"Is that it? Or are you just using their insistence as a way of forcing yourself?" Dinah lifted an eyebrow at her and waited for an answer. When Kara kept quiet, Dinah continued. "It's been my experience that the mere threat of an intervention isn't enough to get someone into therapy, not if they don't think they need it."

"Fine, I know I should be talking with someone, I just... really didn't want to." Turning back towards Dinah, Kara let her see the frustration in her eyes. "With both of them pressuring me, I really don't have an excuse to avoid you anymore. I hate that I even need this... You know, Krypton didn't even have psychologists."

In her previous life, Kara hadn't been so averse to seeking help but, in this one... Well, Kryptonians weren't really very emotional beings. Or had many psychological problems.

Being genetically engineered and bred to do something, and to enjoy doing it, made psychologists mostly unnecessary. The overwhelming majority of Kryptonians actually found their jobs, and lives, very fulfilling.

"Really, what else was different on Krypton?" Dinah asked and wrote something in her notebook.

Kara stared at the woman's face for a second or two, having to make an effort not to read her notes, but decided to start talking. "Well, first, it was beautiful; the crystal buildings were unlike anything you have here on Earth. Earth is filled with those boxy skyscrapers that all look the same. It's boring, plus the pollution. Rao, I hate that here. I go outside my apartment or the Fortress and I can actually taste the smoke, and see it too, if I squint a little. I think that's the first thing I'm gonna have to fix."

Almost an hour later, Kara realized that her consultation was almost over and all she had done was talk about her home planet. "Ugh, you know I'm not actually paying you for this right, you don't need to waste time to keep me coming back."

"Did you really think this was a waste of time?" Dinah smiled at her, releasing the notebook at the side table and leaning forward, her elbows resting on her knees. "Kara, I'm not a miracle worker. I can't solve all your issues in a single consult, much less when I barely know you."