Chapter One

First day of summer.

It was as if the world had gotten a little louder, a little happier. The doors of River Ridge High burst open as swarms of high school teens ran to get the first taste of freedom. A joyous welcome for the months ahead of them with no school or early morning alarms. The crowd slowly turned into clusters of small groups, leaving the school premises with excited chatters filling the air. The warm summer breeze enveloped the air around them, the humidity slowly rising as if it were a subtle reminder of the heat the season would bring.

No matter, though. Most of the students of River Ridge High already had plans of fighting off the heat, whether it was a getaway to the beach, a good dip in the pool, or a hike to the mountains. Everyone was ready for the season.

Except for me. Sumvitana Marie DeLacour. I only answer to Summer.

"I told you, Lilly, I'm not going."

"Please, it will be fun! I promise! Everyone is going to be there!" Lilly Simmons exclaimed excitedly. She was having a hard time convincing me to go to the party with her as we walked out of the schoolyard. "We always go to the annual first summer party together."

"You can go with your cheerleading squad, though." I pointed out with an encouraging smile as Lilly continued to follow next to me, holding onto my arm with a soft squeeze.

"It's different, Sum." Lilly sighed. I watched as her eyes then lit up as if remembering something. "Besides, someone is expecting you there tonight."

"What?"

Gotcha, her face told me, knowing that she was about to reveal an exciting secret to me. I watched in silence as Lilly pulled out her phone from her tote bag, tapping away on the screen before turning it towards me.

My eyes went over the conversation on Lilly's phone. It was a conversation between Lilly and Wyatt, the school's best quarterback and my unrequited crush since the fourth grade.

"Lilly, what is this??" I asked in disbelief, my eyes going over the words several times, not being able to believe what I was reading. As I looked up at my best friend, Lilly had a triumphant look on her face as she folded her arms across her chest.

"Yes, you read that right. Wyatt wants to see you tonight at the team's party!"

As the two of us locked eyes, I couldn't help the butterflies slowly coming to life inside of me, fluttering around in my stomach as the heat slowly crept up to my neck and cheeks. I couldn't believe it. Was it true? Lilly would never lie to me like this–besides, there was proof in front of my very own eyes; a living, digital proof that my long-time crush Wyatt Anders was hoping to see me Summer DeLacor tonight at his party.

I was snapped out of my reverie when my ears were bombarded by Lilly's excited squeal, her hands clutching my arms and grabbing me feverishly. We earned a few weird stares from students around us, but that was the least of our worries right now.

At the moment, I was worried about what I would be wearing.

_______

"Lilly, are you sure about this?"

I asked as I looked down at my outfit. My wardrobe was borrowed from magasin de Lilly due to my lack of fashion sense when it came to parties. Lilly was disappointed when she saw nothing but white-washed jeans, dark sweaters, and a few loose shirts inside my closet. She knew that I needed a makeover, and Lilly brought her whole wardrobe with her.

"Girl, you look so hot right now. All the heads will turn when you walk in." Lilly replied with so much confidence that I wished I could siphon some for myself. I couldn't help but constantly pull down at the hem of my black leather skirt that stopped just above my thighs and fixed the sleeves of my white long sleeve cropped shirt. The pointed end of my mother's silver family crest dangled between my breast. Lilly has always had a smaller chest and fewer hips than me, so her clothes fit me snug.