Chapter Two

“I’m really glad you could make it.” Wyatt Anders spoke, flashing his dazzling white smile as he made his way toward me. I couldn’t seem to make my limbs work; I was frozen in place, my heart beating twice as fast with every step he took toward me. “What do you think of the party so far?”

His voice sounded like I was underwater and he was on the surface. I had to snap myself back to reality, focusing on his patient stare as he continued to give me a warm smile that I have always adored for so long already.

“I–yes, the party is great. Huge crowd!” What am I saying??

He chuckled as he looked around us before he bit his bottom lip. My stomach flipped at the action, eyes trailing down to his soft lips that I could only dream of every night. But here I was in front of the very same person that I fantasize about and adored from a distance, literally talking to me and showing me his infamous smile that everyone in school grew to love as well.

“Yeah, well, it is the annual summer welcome after all. Everyone’s just thirsting to finally leave school for the summer.” He replied with a shrug. I watched as he lifted a hand and gestured behind him. “Say, do you want to get out of here? You know, look for someplace quieter so we can talk.”

Am I hearing this right?

“Oh! S-Sure,” I mumbled and with my response, he held his hand out for me to take. I stared down with wide eyes, grateful that my brain took over, and immediately held onto his hand. I couldn’t help the butterflies that continued to ferociously invade my stomach as we made our way through the crowd, Wyatt stopping every now and then to greet a few kids from school. I earned a few glances from them as well, their eyes going down to where Wyatt held onto my hand.

Finally, we reached a locked door that Wyatt easily opened with a key from his jean pocket. My heart continued to hammer against my chest as nervousness slowly crept up to my neck, making me feel uneasy and at the same time excited.

“This is my dad’s study; where he works and reads.” Wyatt introduced as he opened the door for me, letting me in first. It was a simple and cozy room with cream-colored walls lined with shelves of hardback books, and an office set-up with a table and computer settled on the opposite side. I watched as Wyatt plopped himself down on the black velvet couch in the middle and I realized how soundproof the room was considering that it almost completely blocked out the noise from outside.

“Very cozy,” I commented with a small smile as I looked around, finally finding my voice.

“It is, right? I was hoping we could talk better here.” Wyatt replied as he sat up straighter, his eyes following my every move as I walked down the shelves filled with books. There were new ones, old ones with frayed edges and yellowing pages and some still had a plastic seal.
“What did you want to talk about?” I asked, finally finding the courage to look him in those big brown eyes and stop looking around the room like a creep.

“Come here,” He called with a low voice as he patted the space next to him.

I swallowed the nervousness away and covered it up with a smile as I made my way next to him, pulling down my skirt as I sat. My red laced panties would show if my skirt rode up any further. I immediately noticed the way his eyes followed my hands.

“Your friend Lilly was really adamant that I talk to you.” Wyatt began with an amused smile as he rested an arm behind the couch, just near my shoulders.

“Ugh, I knew it!” I groaned out, embarrassment slowly heating up my face. “I knew she was behind all this! I’m really sorry about her, I hope she wasn’t being annoying or anything. I didn’t tell her to do this, I swear!”