Chapter 76: Seizing the Wolf's Throat

Another critical factor is the advantage in skills.

Zhang Liu recalled the various techniques for combating wild beasts that Anya had taught him the day before yesterday. When the wolf extended its claws, poised to viciously strike the opponent's upper body, Zhang Liu sidestepped the attack using the lateral movement technique Anya had instructed.

Location also played a crucial role.

Qin Ruyan, engaging with the wolf in the rain, hadn't considered this aspect. Simply standing beneath the large tree behind her allowed her to evade over 60% of the rain.

Wolves refrained from direct attacks.

They had evolved into cunning creatures. If they charged head-on toward prey positioned near a tree, evasive movements could lead to collisions, causing injury.

The hunter had transformed through years of forest hunting experience.

Once Zhang Liu positioned himself under the tree, the rain-soaked wolf had only two potential attack paths—left and right. Regardless of the direction, a brief visual blind spot emerged due to the tree, offering Zhang Liu a valuable chance to respond.

"Ooooww!" The wolf howled, its desperation evident from the cold and fatigue, having missed the wolf tribe it once belonged to.

The lone wolf, now solitary, would have summoned comrades for a coordinated attack if there were more wolves present.

This desperate howl startled Zhang Liu, who interpreted it as the wolf activating a comrade-calling skill.

Striking preemptively was imperative to rescue Qin Rushuang.

Anya's guidance echoed in his mind: "The weak point of canine family is the waist, not the head."

Zhang Liu took three steps forward, raising the spear like a wooden staff, ready for a direct strike.

As the lone wolf prepared to retreat in despair, the desperate howl fueled its ultimate ferocity.

"Ooooow!"

Without requiring assistance in sprinting, the hungry wolf, provoked by Zhang Liu's aggression, leaped to bite, fixating its fierce gaze on Zhang Liu's neck, ready to gamble for a satisfying meal.

Yet, it had to confront the oncoming wooden stick.

Fate sealed its verdict at that pivotal moment.

It was a blind attack targeting the lone wolf's body, but Zhang Liu's strike landed on the wolf's nose this time.

There was one thing Anya, his 'teacher,' didn't mention.

The nose is also a vulnerable point for a canine family!

The wooden stick swung with all its might, whistling through the air, hitting the target forcefully, and then snapping mid-air.

The bone spear, once thought to be securely tied, instantly shattered, twirled through the air, and plummeted.

Intense pain prompted the wolf to shake its head mid-air, evading the potentially fatal blow for the second time.

However, the wolf's extensive experience in forest hunting enabled a swift response.

The wolf's hind legs remained grounded, providing powerful force for the front feet to strike.

While the right claw missed, the left claw sliced through the left side of Zhang Liu's chest.

The thin clothes offered no defense and were torn apart by sharp claws, leaving visible scars on the chest.

On closer inspection, the deepest part of the wound was half a centimeter deep—a deep wound, not just a scratch.