Fifteen

He always triggers my inquisitiveness. I closed my eyes, allowing the weariness to wash over my body, hoping to regain some energy. But as I lay there, I couldn't help but think about tomorrow, spending the entire day at the amusement park, especially the magnificent Wonder Wheel.

It's going to be incredible. I'll finally get to experience all the things I've been missing out on. Oh my, I'm so excited.

"Ava," Alex's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. I turned around to see him standing by the open window. He looked troubled. "I hate seeing you like this. I want to see you enjoying yourself on other occasions. It feels wrong to see you hiding in your room every night. And you didn't even reply to my earlier message," he rushed through his words as if burdened by them.

I realized that I had forgotten about my phone. All I had been focused on was Damon, and now I felt guilty for neglecting Alex. Rising to my feet, I moved towards him and hugged him tightly, his body stiffening in surprise. "I'm sorry, Alex. I... I... I lost track of my phone," I stammered, feeling remorseful for my absent-mindedness.

His voice filled with concern, he asked, "Did something happen to you?" Shaking my head, I stepped back and watched as he let out a sigh of relief. "Have you eaten?"

"I haven't," I muttered, my stomach grumbling in agreement. "My mother must be waiting for me downstairs. Dinner must have been served."

"Okay," Alex sat on the bed and muttered, "I want us to get to know each other better, Ava. We only get to talk for a few minutes at night, and then I'm gone... How can I make you love me when we only see each other at night, and most nights you're tired from all the work you do during the day?"

"Alex..."

"Let's go out tomorrow," he smiled, his eyes lighting up. "Somewhere fun."

"I can't," I mumbled, exhaling softly. "I have work tomorrow." Well, technically, I have a date with Damon, my boss. We're going to the amusement park, but I can't tell Alex all that. It would just break his heart, and I don't want to be the cause of that.

"Why don't you let me know when you're free?" he suggested, leaning closer. "I want to spend time with you, even if it's just a little bit."

"I am free at night and on Sundays," I mumbled, a smile creeping onto my face. "We can keep seeing each other every night, and then on Sunday, we can go out... deal?"

"Deal," he said, getting closer as if to kiss me. But I turned my head, and his lips landed on my cheek instead. I could feel him exhale. "Thank you, Ava. Even if it's just a small part of your heart, it makes me happy." He smiled, kissed my forehead, and left. Oh god, what have I gotten myself into?

Alex doesn't seem like a regular human either. I remember seeing him with fangs the first time I laid eyes on him. He might be a vampire.

"Ava!" My mother's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. "Food is ready!"

"I'm coming, mother."

Maybe I should stop overreacting and overthinking everything.

The next day, Ava walked into the mansion wearing tight blue jeans that hugged her curves and a black crop top, showing a bit of her tummy and cleavage. She wanted to look good in Alexander's eyes, although she felt a tinge of sadness because she had no way of contacting Alex since her boss had, out of jealousy, thrown away her phone.

As Ava made her way to the assembly, her mind was consumed by thoughts of Damon, the man who piqued her curiosity and stirred up other emotions within her. The dream she had last night left her in a state of confusion. She dreamt of Damon, yes, but the dream was far from ordinary.