𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞, 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐭𝐰𝐨

˜"*°•.˜"*°• chapter three •°*"˜.•°*"˜

"

yₒᵤ dₒₙ'ₜ ₕₐᵥₑ ₜₒ ₘₐₙₕₐₙdₗₑ ₘₑ, Fᵢₙₙᵢcₖ

"

I'm dressed in a light blue dress with a slit ending a few inches above my knee. It tightly wraps around me in a way that enhances and somewhat adds to my curves. There's a plunging neckline paired with a long, silver necklace ending with one large diamond. My hair's done up in a sort of elegant-looking bun, and my eyes are dramatically done up with silver eyeshadow and eyeliner. 

Sure, it's pretty. 

But I'm so, so uncomfortable dressed like this. I guess I should be used to it by now, but I just really don't like it.

Lino notices my facial expression upon looking at myself in the mirror. "What is it? Do you not like it?"

"No, it's fine, it's very pretty. Thanks, Lino."

Lino stares at me for a second, then presses his lips together. "I have an idea." He dismisses my prep team, and then goes and looks for something in a box. After digging around for a moment, he pulls out a shimmering silver wrap, and wraps it over my shoulders. It covers up most of my exposed cleavage, but doesn't take away from the dress's elements. 

I look at him gratefully. "Thank you."

Finnick comes in, dressed in a simple black suit with a white undershirt. "Come on, let's go." He takes me under his arm and begins leading me out, Lino following. "Okay, so this is the least important ceremony of everything you'll do. In all the other districts, it will be much more extravagant. Chances are, the camera crew won't even use any of the film from District Twelve's dinner."

"Lovely."

I'm walked into a somewhat cramped room with a long wooden table, surrounded by probably around twenty or so chairs. Name cards are placed down, and I begin searching for my name.  I'm placed at one end of the table, while the mayor is at the other end. Haymitch is placed to my left, while the Head Peacekeeper, Cray, is placed to my right. Finnick comes up behind me and stares at the card from over my shoulder.

"Isn't he the guy you don't like?" I ask, twisting my head to look up at him. 

"Yeah," Finnick mutters. "What if I just...switch it...?" Finnick pushes me aside and switches Crays card one over. I am now sitting next to Andi.

"Aren't they going to notice?" I say.

"Hope not," Finnick mutters. "Would be more obvious if I put myself next to you."

"Why don't you like Cray, anyway?" I ask, lowering my voice, and turning to face him.

"Not the time, Callyn. Come on, let's sit down." He pushes me towards my chair.

"Okay, okay, you don't have to manhandle me, Finnick," I say, irritated. 

≋~≋~≋~≋~≋~≋

"So you're our newest Odair," Haymitch says, with a bit of a slur on his words. I've seen him down about three glasses. I wonder if he and Matthew get along well. "Our next peacock of Panem."

I stare at him. "Yeah, sure, we can go with that."

"Hopefully you're better than the first." Haymitch mutters, eyeing Finnick, who's talking to Linden.