Chapter 7:

Rosa:

-

I watch as she leaves me for Marie. Again.

I do not understand, why just why? Why do we have this wide gap between us...we were friends. And then we were not.

My heart aches with grief.

The day she decided to abandon our best treasure that we share, our friendship, for a sinister snake. That day, it rained heavily, dark clouds loomed over my pitiful self, my friendless self, and looked down on me smirking, mimicking the face Marie had as she saw me all alone after-school wondering where Elsie was.

But as Elsie mouthed that one word at me, I couldn't help but wonder.

"Sorry"

Did she really go to Marie by choice? Did she abandon me because she wanted to? Her sad eyes, her slight frown, what if she was forced?

Now that would change everything.

A dark feeling washed over me. I need to get her. I need to help her. I must help her.

That familiar ache touched me again and gently strangled my heart.

My feet are moving, my arms are moving as well, I'm running, I'm coming.

-

"Happy Birthday to you~ Happy Birthday to you~" She pauses shortly to give me a kind smile before continuing. "Happy Birthday~ Happy Birthday~ Happy Birthday to you!" She moves her eyes to my candles and back at me, as if ushering me to blow my candles already.

I blow them.

Everyone claps loudly before stopping after a while, my sister pulls out a camera.

"Come on everyone! Get together!" She shouts whilst holding the camera. Me and Elsie come closer together and Elsie puts an arm around my shoulder letting one hand rest on my shoulder, whilst the others up in a peace sign ready for the photo, I can feel everyone posing around us.

I give my best smile as the camera flashes light, and I can hear the small click.

When the photos are over, I can feel Elsie lean over and whisper in my ear, "As long as our friendship continues to stay, and our bond stays strong, there will be many more of these photos, many more of our memories captured for others to look at." She flashes me a big cheesy grin and squeezes my hand with hers.

-

My feet ache, where did they go? Which way...? The big sign that says "Rooftop" looks down on me.

Up there? No... we're not allowed up there...the ache...hits me again.

I find my feet moving up the stairs, my hands on the rail.

I slide the double doors open.

And there...there they are. But...what are they doing? Why is she grabbing her collar? Why is she slowly loosening her grip? Why are they on the edge?!

I scream as hard as I can. "ELSIE." I scream it so loud my throat aches and feels raw. I scream with feeling, my dark feeling. Darkness suddenly surrounds me.