Chapter Twenty-Three

A short chapter for now, but things are starting to get just a bit more interesting! I do apologise for the delay in updating! Just submitted my final project, and then I have another submission and two more exams over the next three weeks! I hope I update on Thursday, but just in case there's a delay, I hope you guys understand! Please do leave votes and comments!

Dhushyanth

When Sita and I return after a second shower, Dhruv and dad are seated on the dining table, eating.

Dhruv looks up at me, his eyes quickly averting to his plate before I even say anything. My father looks up at the both of us.

"How was the journey, Sita?" He enquires Sita, politely.

"It was okay, Mamayya," she responds, with a smile. "How are you? It's quite hot, isn't it? The campaign must be hectic, especially in this weather."

Nanna smiles back at Sita. "I'm alright, dear. The campaign is quite hectic, but not too bad, I suppose." Surprisingly, he indulges in the conversation, "We've shifted from afternoons to evenings; villages seem very empty in the middle of the day."

"Of course, the heat isn't great for anyone, is it?" Sita continues, pulling out a chair for herself. "I hope you're eating well and staying hydrated."

Dad's smile widens. "Yes, I am."

She turns to Dhruv with her sweet smile, her eyes turning sympathetic as she assesses him. "How are you, Dhruv?"

"I'm okay," he answers, and coughs into his fist, before drinking a sip of water. "Dehydrated, but fine."

"Did you have to get an IV?" She inquires, kindly, reaching over the table to serve him when he reaches for the bowl of curry.

"Since morning, yes," he says, "I feel a bit better now, just feel exhausted."

"Some rest will get you back, I'm sure," she continues, "you should've been more careful, though. The weather's so bad, and you've been working so hard."

Dhruv looks back up at me, pressing his lips together. "I should have," he agrees.

"It's fine," I let him know, "Get better soon."

Dhruv's jaw slackens a bit, but he nods quickly. "I will be back in two days."

"You will go back when you're completely recovered," Sita cuts in, her sweet tone taking a stern dip. "Don't mess with your health."

No one says anything to argue with Sita as she smiles sweetly, and settles back into her seat. Evidently, she knows she's closed the discussion with her final statement, but she doesn't address it. There was no hesitation or suggestiveness to her statement. It was final.

~.~.~.~.~

I make sure to turn on my 5:30 AM alarm before settling into bed, waiting for Sita to return after her night-time routine as I watch the news about elections.

She walks out of the bathroom in an oversized t-shirt and shorts, in contrast to the simple Kurti she'd put on when we went downstairs for dinner. Her hair is pulled into a braid with a few strands too short that remain framing her face.

"Don't be thinking about elections, watching elections and dreaming elections all the time," she tells me, climbing onto the bed.

I mute the TV. "I need to keep up, don't I?"

"Maybe," she agrees, "but get someone to summarise all of this. Your brain needs a break, too."

"Now is not the time for my brain to go on a break."