꒰ 025 !

chapter┊ ✦

chapter┊ ✦. :: twenty five
♡ ﹙quileute﹚ ❋  ˚  ݂ ꛒ

The days passed calmly. Lydia attended her doctor's appointments and browsed clothes online with Alice. But everyone knew it was the calm before the storm, and that worried Lydia more than anyone else. Sometimes she just wanted to ask Carlisle to leave town and start a life together, just the two of them. But she felt it was too selfish of her, so she kept her thoughts to herself as best she could.

They still had no trace of the stranger or Victoria, which was even more worrying, but everyone was trying. Although it was difficult to do so many things at once, being vampires didn't make the burden any lighter.

That Saturday, half of the Cullens would go hunting while the other half searched for clues about Victoria or the stranger. So Bella would spend the afternoon with the wolves. It would be the first time Lydia accompanied them, and although Carlisle didn't say it out loud, he was glad his girlfriend wouldn't be alone while she was away from home. At least he was certain that she would be safe with the wolves. Or so he forced himself to think; after all, they had no reason to harm her.

Lydia bundled up warmly and got into Edward's car, who drove for a few minutes and stopped by the roadside next to another car.

"Bella, don't see Lydia as your chaperone. We also have to protect her in case the nomad who entered your house knows about her. Understand?" Edward said calmly, as if he were talking to a child. It almost seemed like he was.

Bella hadn't actually thought about it. Being the only one who had been in constant danger and on the brink of death, she hadn't imagined that Lydia could also be in some kind of danger. It sounded horrible, but she had only thought about herself.

"I understand," she spoke, nodding and trying to smile, but it was more of a grimace. As much as she understood it, she didn't really like the idea of having Lydia around.

The three got out of the car and walked towards the shirtless man waiting for them. Lydia couldn't imagine how he could stand the cold without a shirt; she was freezing even with all those layers of clothing. Still, she gave him a big smile as she waited for Bella and Edward to finish talking.

"Doesn't he have any shirts?" Edward asked, annoyed. Lydia wanted to laugh at the small scene of jealousy, but she restrained herself.

Instead, she approached the dark-haired man who was looking at her with a furrowed brow.

"Hi, I'm Lydia," she introduced herself. "You must be Jacob. I've heard a lot about you."

The boy smiled when he noticed she was very friendly and pleasant. He felt comfortable with her right away.

"The one and only," he extended his hand. "And I think so. I heard there were new doctors at the hospital. You're Dr. Cullen's girlfriend, right?"

"Yes, that's me," she chuckled.