꒰ 027 !

chapter┊ ✦

chapter┊ ✦. :: twenty seven
♡ ﹙surprise﹚ ❋  ˚  ݂ ꛒ

With each passing day, things were getting tenser. In Seattle, there were more disappearances and unexplained deaths, it was the only thing being talked about in the news, and there wasn't even a clue as to who could be responsible.

Everyone was gathered at the Cullen residence, in the living room watching the news while trying to figure out how to solve all the problems or deduce the possible origin of it all.

They came to the conclusion that they were newborns created for some kind of fight. Additionally, they found it concerning that the Volturi still hadn't done anything about it. They should have heard about everything that had happened by now, after all, they were supposed to be aware of everything vampires did.

However, Carlisle and Lydia were starting to drift apart more and more. The blonde man would skip work to stay home and help with whatever he could, while Lydia spent all day at work and when she returned home, she could only think about sleeping.

Both felt this growing distance between them but weren't sure how to resolve it. Additionally, Lydia's pregnancy symptoms were getting stronger, but she refused to stop going to work; her boss had told her there was no problem, that her health came first, but she still adamantly refused. It was her only way of not thinking about all the troubles happening with Isabella.

That Friday night, as Lydia was leaving work, she found Carlisle waiting for her by his car. She smiled, showing all her teeth, and approached to hug and kiss him. He didn't resist the display of affection at all and let Lydia's warmth flood him from head to toe. He had missed that pleasant feeling a lot.

"How was your day?" he finally asked as he headed to open the passenger door.

"Nothing interesting, really," she got into the car carefully, "these weeks have been very quiet."

Carlisle got into the car as well and started driving.

"I'm glad to hear that. You know you can stop coming to the hospital if you feel unwell."

"Carlisle, I'm fine. Work is a thousand times less stressful than... all the Bella stuff."

"I know, I'm sorry," he felt really bad for not giving the necessary attention to his pregnant girlfriend.

The man looked sad, Lydia had never seen him like that before, but she felt guilty.

"It's not your fault, honey. I know you're doing everything possible to keep everyone safe, and that's great."

Carlisle looked at her with a small smile, but then Lydia noticed they weren't heading home.

"Where are we going?" she spoke again.

The blonde man smiled even more, but didn't say anything, instead, he reached out and took Lydia's hand. The rest of the way was relatively silent, with Lydia asking where they were going and Carlisle asking her to wait.