Chapter 21: The Funeral

Authors Note: I have a Spotify playlist for my book. I will link it here and will put it in the story where I song should be played. I hope you all enjoy that!

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4oedd0QPycR0wIyG9BeTx5?si=ZIeFwtj8TD2x0vAEKU6gRA&app_destination=copy-link
Username: kinsey✨

Playlist Title: pov: you're slowly falling in love with stephen strange

--

"Here you go, buddy," I say to Trash as I give him a piece of pepperoni off my pizza. He quickly inhales it and looks back up to me for me. I give him a chuckle, looking down at his sweet, brown eyes. "No more, little man. I want some too." I turn back to my food. 

"So, we're feeding the dog people food now?" I hear a familiar voice ask. I look up and see Stephen standing in the kitchen's large, arched doorway. He leans to the right on the doorframe. His large shoulders seem to fill the entirety of the doorway. 

"He was too cute to resist!" I exclaim. Trash runs over to him, looking up. Stephen looks down. "I mean look at those eyes," I urge. Stephen lets out a little smile. He bends down and gives him some pets.

"You are very cute, boy," he whispers to the dog. I smile at their interaction. Stephen acts big and bad, but I know he has a soft spot for Lev and Trash. 

"You were gone for a while. How was the meeting?" I ask. Stephen looks back at me and stands up. He lets out a huge sigh. I can tell he is tired from his eyes and the way he stands with slumped shoulders. "That bad?" I question.

"It was what I expected. Long, tedious, and boring," he responds, rubbing his eyes. He walks over to where I'm sitting at the bar. "Nothing to write home about. I promise." Suddenly, he opens his arms for a hug. I do the same from sitting in the bar stool. He wraps his big arms around me and buries his head in the crook on my neck. I wrap my arm around him, and one goes to his hair. This never happens. I'm usually the one who asks for hugs, not him. I don't mind all.

"Are you okay?" I ask quietly.

"It's- It's just a lot..." he lets out.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He lets another sigh out the breath going down my shirt. He pulls back and looks at me with tired eyes.

"Not right now. But I will. One day," he replies. I give him a small smile and nod.

"And I'll be there for you. To listen. I promise," I respond.

"Thank you." His eyes suddenly brighten. "Though, the good news is that the elders have granted you access to all the meetings from here on out. So, I won't be alone for hours on end listening to the same monotone voices," Stephen explains.

"Oh, yayyy" I say, rolling my eyes.

"Not too happy about it anymore, are we?" he chuckles.

"Ehhh, not really. But like you said, you won't be alone for hours, and I won't be either," I reply. He nods.

"Speaking of hours long meetings," Stephen looks at the metal clock above the large wood stove, "it's pretty late. I'm surprised you're up." The clock reads 12:07 am. I sigh a big sigh.

"Yeahhh, I was getting ready and laid down, but I couldn't fall asleep. Just too much on my mind. You know? So, me and Trash thought we could get a little midnight snack," I explain, looking down at my piece of pizza I had warmed up. "Are you hungry? Have you eaten?" I ask. Stephen shakes his head.

"Yeah, I'm a little hungry. We didn't have the time to eat. Too much to go over," he says. I instantly slide the plate toward him.

"Well, we can't have you going to bed hungry. This is the last piece of leftovers from two nights ago, and I know I already took a bite out of it, but it's yours's if you want it," I say.