89. Duel Upon The Eternal City

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

Chapter 89

Duel Upon The Eternal City

Third POV

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

The palace doors were big enough to steer a cruise ship through, but they'd been ripped off their hinges and smashed like they weighed nothing. The demigods + Satyr had to climb over a huge pile of broken stone and twisted metal to get inside.

Kronos stood in the middle of the throne room, his arms wide, staring at the starry ceiling as if taking it all in. His laughter echoed even louder than it had from the pit of Tartarus. "Finally!" he bellowed. "The Olympian Council—so proud and mighty. Which seat of power shall I destroy first?"

Ethan and Alexander stood to one side, trying to stay out of the way of their master's scythe. The hearth was almost dead, just a few coals glowing deep in the ashes. Hestia was nowhere to be seen. There had been so much destruction that Theo didn't want to think about what had happened to the Goddess.

The Ophiotaurus swam in his water sphere in the far corner of the room, wisely not making a sound, but it wouldn't be long before Kronos noticed him. The demigods plus Grover stepped forward into the torchlight.

Ethan saw them first. "My lord," he warned. Kronos turned and smiled through Luke's face. Except for the golden eyes, he looked just the same as he had all those years ago when he'd met Theo in the forest.

Annabeth made a painful sound in the back of her throat like someone had just sucker-punched her. "Shall I destroy you first, Jackson?" Kronos asked. "Is that the choice you will make—to fight me and die instead of bowing down? Prophecies never end well, you know."

"Luke would fight with a sword," Percy said. "But I suppose you don't have his skill."

Kronos sneered. His scythe began to change until he held Luke's old weapon, Backbiter, with its half-steel, half-Celestial bronze blade. Next to Theo, Annabeth gasped like she'd suddenly had an idea. "Percy, the blade!" She unsheathed her knife. "The hero's soul, cursed blade shall reap."

Reciting a line from a prophecy that pretty much told Percy that he was going to die wasn't exactly a morale booster, but before Theo could say anything about it, Kronos raised his sword.