Chapter 6 - The Imperial Palace

"Your grace," Dain, Magnus' knight reported, "the demons in the north are going on a rampage. There have been more than 19 occurrences of them appearing close to the wall, and three people have perished as a result." Charlotte stood beside Magnus as he listened. "I see," he replied. "Should I enter the battlefield, Dad?" Charlotte asked. "Dain, I'll inform you after I've made a decision. For now, instruct the knights to defend," Magnus said, and Dain left the room.

"Charlotte," Magnus addressed her, "do you truly want to join the main battlefield? It's perilous, especially with the entity's resurgence this season." Charlotte responded immediately, "Yes, I'm sure! Especially with my butterfly mana—I'll be able to do so much more."

Magnus nodded. "Very well. Valeztin, contact Amira." Valeztin acknowledged and left. "Amira? Who's that?" Charlotte inquired. "Lady Amira Silvercrest," Magnus explained. "She's one of the strongest in our bloodline, having mastered every type of spell in butterfly mana. She's also a student of the living heir of Lady Matrimonia."

"But I thought you would be the one to teach me," Charlotte said. Magnus smiled. "I was taught by her as well, even though she's only five years older than me. But she's far more skilled. Besides, I'll be handling the wall here in Halfsden. I'll be sending you to the capital."

"The capital!?" Charlotte exclaimed. "But I know nothing about it!" Magnus reassured her, "Don't worry. Cherry and Dain will be with you. They'll take care of everything."

Cherry, with her nimble fingers, helped Lady Charlotte pack her belongings. The room was filled with the soft rustling of fabric and the faint scent of lavender sachets. As she folded a delicate lace handkerchief, Cherry glanced up at her mistress, her eyes filled with curiosity.

"Lady Charlotte?" Cherry's voice was gentle, like the whisper of a breeze through cherry blossoms. "Are you nervous?"

Charlotte paused, her fingers stilling on the edge of a silk gown. She looked at Cherry, her expression a mix of excitement and trepidation. "Probably," she admitted. "I've never been to the capital before. What's it like?"

Cherry's eyes sparkled. "Ah, the capital," she said, her voice taking on a dreamy quality. "It's quite big, my lady, and a little intimidating at first. But fear not! There's so much to see and experience. Festivals spill into the streets, filling the air with music and laughter. And the scenery—oh, it's breathtaking! The rolling hills, the ancient bridges, and the cherry blossom trees lining the avenues."

Charlotte's anxiety eased a fraction. "And the imperial palace?" she asked, her voice barely more than a whisper.

Cherry leaned in, as if sharing a secret. "The imperial palace," she said, "is like stepping into a fairy tale. Its marble walls gleam in the sunlight, and the gardens are a riot of colors—roses, irises, and exotic blooms from distant lands. The corridors echo with history, and if you listen closely, you might hear the whispers of emperors long gone."

Charlotte's fingers traced the delicate embroidery on a silk fan. "Hmm," she murmured. "That comforts me a lot."

Cherry grinned. "Hehe, don't worry, Miss Charlotte," she said. "Dain and I will be by your side, guiding you through the streets, introducing you to the best tea houses and hidden gardens. You'll feel right at home."

Charlotte's gratitude shone in her eyes. "Thank you, Cherry," she said. "I couldn't imagine going there alone without you"

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting a warm golden glow over the manor grounds, Charlotte stood at the threshold of a new adventure. Her heart fluttered with a mix of excitement and trepidation. Magnus, the stern but caring steward, stepped forward, his weathered hands clasping hers.