24

*UNEDITED*

After completing my school work I go downstairs to find my parents all cuddled up...wait...did I just address them as my parents, which includes mami..?

Don't make this weird you fart

I sigh at my subconscious thought then make my presence known with a Salam.

"Wa'alaikum salam" they reply and I look around "Where are the kids?" I ask and they spare me a glance "All asleep, we thought you were too" Abba speaks up and I shake my head to dismiss their thoughts "Well I'm standing here aren't I, plus I haven't eaten yunno"

"I hope you prayed seeing how far your nose was buried in those books" I fold my arms at the question, feeling a bit offended "Yes I did mami, I'm just hungry now" I walk away with a roll of the eyes and I hear her grumble "oh well you never know" I scoff and proceed to dish out some leftover guacamole from the fridge and warm it up a bit then I grab bag of chips and will a glass with OJ.

I make my way to the dining table and shortly after my dad places a salad in front of me. I slowly look up at him and he raises a brow

"It's nearly midnight and you're having chips and dip. Do you know how unhealthy that is" I pout but he only gives me a stern look. I pull the plate closer to me which tells him that I'll eat it then he walks away after kissing me on the head.

"Don't stay up too late baby" Mami comes over and pulls me to her bosom and smooches my cheek quite loudly. I give her a playful glare and she chuckles a bit before walking away.

"Mami?" I call out and she pops her head back around the corner "Na'am" she answers with her brows furrowed "Can I talk to you for a bit?" She looks behind her briefly before walking over.

"Sure, anything the problem?" She asks as she takes a seat slowly "Why are you acting weird?" I ask cause she's acting quite unsure and all as if I'm going to attack her.

"What's weird is you wanting to talk to me just like that" she points out and I cock my head, fair enough.

"Well, I wanted to um... ask if we could talk more, yunno... bond and stuff" I lower my voice then stuff a chip in my mouth so I don't babble out rubbish

She gives me a small smile and then nods "Sure...we could do that" she says softly, "why the change of heart tho" She just had to ask, I knew her curiosity would get the best of her, "it just feels right" I shrug. Well, it's not a lie.

I do want her in my life, and since Ammi has changed her attitude, I can't really trust her intentions of coming here, I know I said I'll help her get with Abba but I don't just have the heart anymore. We've disconnected and I need a mother figure as much as I hate to admit it, I need her.

I need Mami.

She has done so much for me, I think it's time I met her in the middle.

"I know all this time, you've been trying to get me to have a proper connection with you and I refused, I focused more on Ammi and that kept turning sour, I do want her back with Abba cause I want to see her happy...she's my mom after all, and she has done so much to see that happen.

I'm not trying to convince you or anything, in fact, I'm going to stop helping her cause I know that's only putting strain on the relationship I want to have with you, I also want to see you happy.

I know this is long overdue and probably since you have other kids to focus on now you wouldn't really have time for, since they're much younger and all..." She puts her palm over my mouth to shut me up and I do.

"Alina, the fact that I have other kids never stopped me from trying to be there for you, yes I might have given up on certain things along the line due to your lack of cooperation but that doesn't mean we can't start from the top. All I've ever wanted was for you to meet me in the middle and now that you're willing to do just that I believe we won't have a problem

It might take some adjustments but we'll make it work as long as that's what you want " I pull her palm away from my lips... Yeah, she didn't trust me to not cut her short... "I do want that," I tell her and she beams

"I love you Mami" She looks at me as if I had just slapped her across the face

You did that once

Oh don't remind me

She tears up quickly and stands up to squat in front of me "Say that again" she says eagerly and I fulfill her demand. A lone tear rolls down her cheek before she pulls me to her crouched figure. "You don't know how long I've waited for you to say those words" She takes in a sharp breath before squeezing me a bit.

"Mami?" I asked after a while since I was getting uncomfortable in the position she put me in. "Let me enjoy this child" she grumbles at me ... Well okay then.

After a few seconds, she whispers "I love you too baby" A small smile graces my lips and I let her hold me in her death grip for a few more minutes before I tap her "Mami, my neck is getting sore" I tell her and she slowly lets me go and gives me s cheeky grin "sorry"

I only laugh and her response and shake my head.

"Finish up and get ready for bed Alina, goodnight" She kisses my head then walks away leaving me to finish my chips and OJ, I didn't forget the Salad either. Once I'm done I clean up and head to my room then have the best sleep I've had in a while.

Alhamdulillah.

~

"It's not my fault this doesn't make sense, I'm not a good teacher, you could get someone else to explain to you" Rana grumbles after multiple attempts of explaining a topic done in my absence.

We've got a test tomorrow, and reading didn't really help much so I'm trying to see if having it explained to me would help but Rana supposedly is a bad teacher.

Supposedly!

"Oh come on, please, we've gone so far" I whine and she glares at me "Yes we have, if only you wouldn't pull us back every 5 minutes to something I had already explained to you we would probably be done by now," she says and I pout. "It's just very confusing, come on, we can't all understand the same things at the same pace" I argued.

"True, this is why you read ahead, I don't know what you've been doing, you've been back to school for nearly two weeks and you know you're behind yet you've never stayed back for once to read in the library and I'm sure you don't read at home either.

There's nothing hard about this, you just need to understand it, it's not going to magically stick in your brain even if I explain it cause you probably read it only twice and decided it wasn't sticking and came over here to slow down my own studies " I get that she's frustrated but damn.

"You didn't have to say all that tho" I grumble and she squints "Tell me all I said was a lie" I only sigh at her words knowing fully well that I can't deny what she said.

She scoffs at me and turns away.

"I still need help tho" I catch her roll her eyes before she turns to me "The only thing I can do for you is to advise you to stay back and read at the library. After that, if you still don't get it coupled with what I've managed to explain, we'll figure something out" I consider her words for a brief moment before nodding.

"Now shush, I'm trying to do this assignment Mr Rogers gave us" I frown at her words "but Mr Rogers just left" I point out and she raises a brow "So?"

"So... You have now till next week to get it done" I inform her and she shrugs "Well if I leave it, I'll probably forget till the last minute and end up rushing it, then I won't gain anything from it and still get a terrible score. Besides I'm not doing anything now, so why not utilize the time" she says. Okay, wow.

I blow out a puff of air and she faces me for a few minutes to say "Look, I don't keep friends, it's hard for me, cause I'm obviously a bookworm, the only way you can get to me is through academics and I don't really mind it being that way... Besides, I know you're just hanging around cause your friend is out of school for the time being. I'm a boring person really, don't take it to heart and don't try to change me" Why is this girl so blunt? Didn't she have breakfast or something?

"It's fine" I don't know what else to say so I keep quiet and allow her to go on with her work while we wait for the next class.

Ayyayy

Another one...