Chapter 1

Emilia

"I-I think... I'm pregnant," I confess through sobs.

Trembling uncontrollably, I cling to my dear friend. The weight of shame from that day crashes over me, as I remember the way I allowed him to use my body. How I surrendered to him out of a misguided need to feel loved.

And my God, Lucas!

I told him I was his. I pushed him into giving our relationship a chance, and despite knowing what I did with Creed, he chose to love me regardless of my mistakes. What will this revelation mean for us now? After this, how could he ever look at me in the same way again?

"Take a breath, okay? Did Tammy do the intake? Urine sample, blood?" She pulls back as I nod. "Alright. Let's get you some answers, then." She picks up the tablet and swiftly sends a message to Tammy. "Some of the labs will take a few days to come back, so I'll call you as soon as they're in. As far as pregnancy, she's checking your urine sample. For now, talk to me. What makes you think you're pregnant?"

"I didn't realize it until I checked earlier this week. I missed two periods, Hannah. Two! How could I have missed that?" My voice sounds shrill and petulant to my own ears, but I'm beyond caring. How else is one supposed to sound when the world is collapsing around them?

"It's understandable, Emi. You've been under a lot of stress." Glancing at the tablet again, she swipes a few times before meeting my gaze. "Is Creed the only man you've been intimate with the past few months?" When I shake my head, I wait for the judgment in her eyes, but it never comes. "You don't have to tell me if you're not comfortable."

"Lucas. We've been seeing each other. We slept together for the first time two weeks ago."

"I see." Desperate for some reassurance, I scrutinize her expression, but she reveals nothing. "Go on and lay down for me."

As I do what she says, she reaches for the box of purple gloves, which she then slides onto her hands with practiced ease. Without a word, she goes about her job, moving to the end of the bed and lifting the blanket that shields me so she can begin her examination.

"Sorry, my fingers are cold." As she works, her gaze moves to the far wall, and I watch with bated breath as she processes whatever she's feeling. "Okay, you'll feel a little pressure now." Her free hand moves to my lower abdomen, applying gentle pressure as she continues her examination until finally withdrawing and readjusting the paper-thin blanket over my legs. Walking to the opposite side of the room, she disposes of the gloves and washes her hands.

"I need you to lie there another minute." She turns to me, her eyes brimming with compassion. "Just need to check in with Tammy and grab some equipment. Will you be alright?"

With a quick nod, I return to studying the intricate patterns on the ceiling tile above me. It's only when I hear the soft click of the door closing behind her that I press both fists against my eyes, using the pressure to stave off the tears threatening to escape. I'm so angry at myself for letting this happen, and even more furious with Creed for everything he's done to our family.

When the door opens, I drop my arms to my side, blinking back the tears. Hannah's back is to me as she pulls a cart behind her. It's equipment of some sort, and when she gets it through the door, I realize it's an ultrasound machine.

"Emilia," the way she says my name sends my stomach plummeting. "You were right. You are pregnant."

It's over.

As a sob tears through my chest, I'm suddenly confronted with the consequences of my actions. Desolation. Immediate emptiness. They course through me like poison, obliterating all the happiness and contentment Lucas poured into me over the past several weeks.