Chapter 2

Lucas

"What the fuck is taking so long?" I growl under my breath. The question meant for no one since it's just me and Nero sitting in the empty space. Being relegated back into the hell that is sitting in a waiting room separated from the woman I love by yet another door is fucking torture. The smiling images of women—some with pregnant bellies, others holding babies—hanging along the walls mock me like they're well aware of the sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that won't subside. Especially since she looked at me with sad whiskey eyes and asked me to wait for her out here.

Wait the fuck out here!

I shake my head and scoff, pretending I'm just angry and that her request didn't gut me. Reluctantly, I nodded while schooling my expression so she wouldn't see how much that simple request hurt me. I mean, come on, we're fucking together, aren't we? I've seen her naked, and have spent the past couple of weeks getting intimately acquainted with her body. After everything we've been through, why wouldn't she want me to be there for her, especially with how worried she's been about this appointment?

Thinking back to our conversation yesterday doesn't help. Distraught and filled with remorse, she begged me to forgive her for what happened between her and Creed in that cabin. She feels as though it was a betrayal to me, but the thing is, not for a single second have I ever blamed her for what happened that day. All culpability for what transpired falls squarely on the shoulders of the asshole who took advantage of her and violated her trust.

Taking the stool next to her, I spin her seat so she's facing me. Refusing to give her an out, I pull until she's caught between my legs. I need her this close, both so I can be her pillar of strength and so I can see the truth behind those whiskey eyes as she recounts what that asshole did to her.

"Tell me. What happened before we got there?"

"He didn't rape me, if that's what you think." Her statement is laced with such vitriol I have to wonder if she's attempting to convince herself just as much as she's trying to convince me.

"If that's true, why were you so upset when I found you? Matter of fact, why are you so upset now?" That she's attempting to downplay his actions and what we walked in on in that cabin shoots sparks of fury through my veins. What that man did to her is reprehensible, and that she doesn't see it that way makes my blood boil.

With eyes full of anger and contempt, she lifts her chin in defiance and professes, "Because I let him use me and I was ashamed! Because in my desperation to be touched, to feel loved and wanted, I forgot he's one of the reasons I feel so worthless. And I knew it. Deep down I knew he would leave me shattered yet again, but by the time I tried to stop, it was too late." At first, she spits out the words with vehemence, but as the oppressive admission settles in the air around us, the anger that bolstered her disappears. At the sight of the quiver in her chin, I pulled her hard against my chest.

"It's never too late to say no, Embree. Never. And if that fucking bastard doesn't know that by now, then maybe it's time someone teaches him the lesson." I growl into her hair as I take in her sweet scent and hold her close. This is all my fault. My only job was to keep her safe and out of the clutches of those trying to hurt her, and I failed. The suffering and the self-loathing she's experiencing is on me.

"It wasn't like that, I swear," she sobs, desperate to make me believe her. "I just... I made a mistake." She pulls back, cupping my face as she looks deep into my eyes, imploring me to believe her. "I swear on my girls, Lucas. He didn't rape me. I just got lost in the moment and didn't see it for the mistake it was until it was too late. I messed up."