Chapter 9 - Ice

At once, everyone around him started running around the room like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off. He sighed and tried to block the noise that was starting to get really irritating.

Tony was typing on some weird little boxes and little letters appeared as he typed. MJ, Peter, and Ned started opening and slamming doors shut randomly.

"STOP!" Ice yelled.

Everyone stopped, the room echoing silently.

"Is she afraid of any means of transportation to get up to this room?" Ice asked.

"Yes. She's afraid of elevators, and how'd you know that?" MJ asked.

Ice opened his eyes, looking straight at her. His hands shook, and he hid them under his legs.

"Just a question," he said finally.

"Marcus, your heart levels have increased rapidly. Would you like me to call Bruce?" someone said.

Ice jumped up, holding his fists. "Who's there?!"

Tony held back a laugh. "Sorry Marcus, that's FRIDAY. She's an AI. She's programmed to do this kind of stuff."

Ice sat down again, his face a bright pink, and he put his head down.

"Check the stairs from the entrance you came in. If she went that way, you guys should be able to find her," he said, ignoring FRIDAY.

They all nodded and looked at each other, kind of impressed that Marcus knew a lot for only being here for however long.

"Geez kid, you've seriously got a voice." Tony said, "And what was FRIDAY about?"

Ice didn't reply, he just fiddled with his fingers.

"Marcus?" Tony asked.

"It doesn't even matter anymore," he said.

Ice saw Widow come in and Tony looked up at her, attentively.

"Natasha, what's going on?" he asked, trying to look past her.

"They just came by. Steve heard that Fury wants to meet up, but they're not very sure yet." Natasha said.

Ice put his knees up to his chest and Natasha looked over, looking concerned for him. He didn't meet her eyes, he wasn't a stranger to assassins. They knew when people lied. They could see right through people.

"Привет, Маркус," Natasha said. (Hello Marcus)

"Привет." Ice said glumly. (Hello) "

"Кто эти люди?" he asked. (Who are these people?)

Natasha could feel his panic fill the room's atmosphere, and she shivered slightly. Ice looked at his fingers and they were pitch blue.

"Τι διάολο; Αυτό δεν πρέπει να είναι δυνατό." Ice muttered. (What the hell; this should not be possible.)

Natasha looked at him. Something was off with this kid.

"Come with me," Natasha said.

Ice stood up, putting his hands in his pocket, and following her past the people in the doorway. They eventually found themselves standing in front of the elevator and Ice backed away, bones chilled.

"Διάολε, δεν θα μπω σε αυτό." Ice said. (Hell, I won't get into that.)

Natasha just sighed quietly and led him to an empty meeting room.

"So you're afraid of elevators and strangers?"

"Εν μέρει. Τα ασανσέρ φαίνονται βραχώδη γενικά και οι άγνωστοι είναι απλά... περίεργοι." Ice said. (Partially. Elevators seem rocky in general and strangers are just... weird.)

"I did not understand a single word of that," Natasha said, sitting on a chair, and putting her feet on the table.

"Sorry," he muttered.

"I'm - never mind. Forget I said anything." Natasha said, suspicious.

Natasha paused. The kid seemed so much like Enola, in some ways, and freakier in others. It was freaking her out that this kid was this anxious and strange.

"I want to know. If I understood the expression on your face, I think I understood -"

Ice shut her out and his heart dropped. He saw Natasha blurrily disappear and now he was falling.

"Γονίδιο?" he muttered. (Gene?)

He put his head in his arms and Natasha stopped talking immediately.

"Marcus?! You okay?"

He heard a man and woman sobbing. His voice caught in his throat and saw Genesis lying limp on the couch, and Thalivee and Stormy holding each other, crying. He paled and dream-walked towards Gene as he kneeled down near his head.

"GENE!!!" he wanted to scream, cry, finally break.

Gene was so pale that he saw black bags under his eyes and bruises spotting on revealed skin.

"Oh my god Gene," he whispered, not having the energy to speak louder.

Ice put his hand in Gene's hair and put it behind his ear.

"Gene." he kissed his boyfriend's forehead.

"If I'm right, he's got a three-week pre-dying stage and then three days of dying." Thalivee saw Stormy open his arms and she curled up in them.

"We're going to need everyone we know to get Ice back."

Ice heard that much before slumping to the ground in defeat.

"Ice."

"Ice."

"Ice."

Ice looked up, and he didn't see anyone talking.

"It's me. Ice."

Ice fought off the verge of talking.

"The one who hears the spirit of their own self has been chosen for the prophecy."

"Which one?"

"You, remember? The Ice Prophecy. The Fire and The Ice must join together to find the other protectors. Remember that one?"

"No."

"Of course not. Many people do not believe in this Prophecy, but you must! You could save the ones you love."

"You heard them. He's dying." Ice said.

"Not if you can help it. You must reach to him through your dreams!"

"Whatever wizard," he muttered.

"Die you must."

Ice looked up, fighting his urge to laugh, despite the situation.

"Yeah whatever."

"Would you do it in the name of love?"