Chapter 16: Self Portrait

The transition from being tutored by Amber to dating Amber was surprisingly easy. Not a whole lot changed, actually.  They still met for tutoring, although they now shared a couch instead of sitting across from one another. In the time between their classes with Macher they would spend every second they could together before Amber would go into the auditorium and Tara would make a mad dash to her next class.

They still shared gummy bears. White and green for Amber, the rest for Tara. At the coffee cart after art, Amber always got an extra hot chocolate for when Tara would show up to talk to her and Anika before her next class. Joey was happy about seeing Tara around more often, even if he was a bit sore about losing his place on the couch next to Amber. But the steamed broccoli she usually had with her made it easier to accept.

Granted, it had only been a week since their first date. But it had been a pretty great week.

"Come on, Amb." Tara whined, lifting up a chemical bottle and looking at the label with narrowed eyes. "It's Friday. Haven't you had enough of school?"

Amber chuckled, turning around slowly to face Tara. Noticing the bottle in her hand, she moved over quickly and plucked it from her hands carefully, setting it on the counter behind her. Her eyes stayed on Tara as she stepped into her space, smirking slightly.

"What?" Tara asked, leaning back slightly and smiling. The way Amber looked at her was different now and Tara hadn't figured out how to look back at her without blushing.

"You not enjoying our alone time?" Amber smirked, leaning in to pepper kisses along Tara's jawline.

Tara giggled and turned her head, meeting Amber's lips with her own. She felt Amber smile into the kiss before she felt hips press against hers, pinning her against the counter behind her.

"Woah there lady killer." Tara giggled, leaning away from the kiss and sucking in a breath, "We are still in the middle of a classroom."

Amber raised an eyebrow and glanced around before nudging Tara's nose with her own and whispering, "Princess, we are alone in the darkroom."

"Exactly." Tara smiled, placing her hands on Amber's hips and pushing her back slowly, "So, developing now, kissing later."

Amber sighed and turned back towards her work, "You're no fun."

Tara rolled her eyes and turned back to the counter, fidgeting with bottles and equipment, "The sooner you're done here, the sooner we can go have some fun."

Amber pulled a photo from its chemical bath, rinsed it off and lifted it to clip it on the drying line. As she attached it to the line, Tara fumbled with some tools on the counter, a loud clattering pulling Amber's attention.

"I guess I should just be happy you haven't broken anything yet. Or worse." She walked over towards Tara, organizing the items Tara had dropped on the counter and placing them out of her reach.

Tara scoffed, and offered Amber a mock pout, "It's just the darkroom. What kind of trouble could I possibly get into?"

Amber smiled wickedly, slowly moving closer to Tara. She danced her fingers up the brunette's arm, her eyes locked on her lips, "Oh I have all kinds of ideas about that."

Tara bit her lip and in an effort to hide her growing smile, "You are unbelievable."

Amber leaned in to kiss her but Tara slid sideways, causing Amber to stumble into the counter. She snapped her head towards Tara with a questioning look that turned to a glare when she saw Tara's pleased smirk.

"Developing now." Tara blew Amber a kiss and sauntered towards the door, "Kissing later."

Amber heard Tara giggle as she left the darkroom and couldn't help but chuckle to herself. That girl was constantly surprising her, and the more time she spent with her having her walls down, made her question why she had built them so high to begin with.