𝗘𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁

𝗔𝘀𝗽𝗲𝗻

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

The morning air was crisp as I walked through the abandoned town.

The sky was a mash-up of different hues, purple, pink, orange, blue, and yellow, all mixing together to create a picture-perfect sky. The sun hadn't fully crested the mountains on the east side of the valley, casting darkness into Archeron, and yet, I felt at peace. Steve was still asleep when I slipped out of bed this morning, throwing on one of his shirts and padding downstairs. I ignored the stickiness of the floor on my feet when I passed through the bar, opening the door just enough to slip out into the morning light.

I had always loved the stillness of the mornings, how the only sounds were the birds waking up and the crickets going to sleep, I loved how the morning dew glistened off the leaves and the few patches of grass we had here in New Mexico. But I loved the utter peace that surrounded me, there was no expectation for me, the little voice in my head was still sound asleep at this hour, and I had no will to force it to wake. I could be blissfully alone, something I longed for so often.

Arms encircled me from behind, right below my breasts as I gasped, instantly relaxing into the tattooed chest. Steve had followed me out, I should've known, but the demons in my head slept longer when he was around, so with the cedar and musk scent that was so him, I leaned further back into him, closing my eyes as the morning sun started to kiss my skin. "What are you doing up?" Steve's voice was raspy, his lip ring pressing against my temple when he kissed the skin there, morning shadow scratching my cheek gently when he nuzzled the side of my face, "And you better be wearing shorts under this shirt."

I bit my lip to hide my grin, my hands coming to rest on his forearms, fingers tracing the intricate swirls of colors that disappeared on his shoulder, "I couldn't fall back asleep," I muttered, turning my head to press my nose gently against his throat, "And you can check if you want."

One of his tattooed hands slid down my front, curling around the hem of my shirt as if he was hesitating, not wanting to take the step and push me away. "You could've woken me up," Steve murmured in my ear, his palm sliding down to my bare thigh, gripping the skin gently, but firmly, making butterflies erupt in my stomach. Everything changed last night when he crashed his mouth to mine, the desperation making me vibrate with want. We both knew our dynamic changed, had both wanted it to change, but we wouldn't speak of it, not now. "I would've come out here with you."

"It's the only time you've looked relaxed since I've been here," I whispered, tipping my head back further, just so I could see him, "I didn't want to ruin that."

Steve offered me a soft, genuine smile, leaning down to kiss me. And I matched his energy, it wasn't desperate, we had time this morning before everyone was up and I was whisked away by Sloane and what she was wanting to show me today. It seemed like after nearly a month here, I still had so much more to learn, to see, to experience. And in these early morning hours, I had Steve all to myself, he wasn't president of a motorcycle club, he was just a man, with no responsibilities.

As he kissed me, his palm slid up my thigh, fingers ghosting the lace at the edge of my panties and he froze, pushing the fabric aside to be met with skin. I grinned against his mouth, before he pulled away abruptly, spinning me around so I faced him.

My hands landed on his tattooed chest when I almost lost balance, blinking up at him innocently, and then I yelped when his palm crashed down on my ass, barely missing the skin of my thigh. "Tell me, princess," I shivered at the unrestrained lust in his voice, and the promise of violence towards others in his eyes, "Why did you think it was a good idea to leave my bed, leave my bar, with nothing but a shirt and these little panties on?"