chapter 42

Amara

"In about a week we have to get away as a company . Your father suggests it ." Joshua says and I look at him . I nod signing the papers.

"Well , I guess I should get going now . " He leaves and I look at my schedule that Clair sent me .

"Looks like you have company ." Joshua says and I look up to find Adriano. I want to smile, but I know I can't.

"Came to irritate me again ." I say and he scoffs closing the door .

"Not today , unfortunately. I just wanted a little motivation for studying."

He says sitting down and taking out his books . This is the first time seeing him with books . Why does he look so...hotter. I shake my head and head back to my work.

The sound of books ruffling makes me eye him and I see him taking out glasses . I mistakenly let out a loud snorty laugh and I immediately cover my mouth with my hand from the embarrassment. Adriano looks at me and I look at my papers.

"Are you laughing at me ?"

"What ! No , why would I . Do you have anything unusual going on?"

I say looking down at his glasses and he looks at them.

"Ah, now I see . This is the reason I never told you about them ."

"Well , there's nothing wrong with it . I just didn't think of you as someone who has a nerdy side ." I say with a short laugh and he looks at me painfully .

"Yeah , that's what you get when you stare at computers everyday . " He says cleaning them and putting them on. They look good on him , I don't know why he hid it .

"They're not bad ."

He looks at me with an amused smile.

"I'm only saving your little pride , don't get ideas ." I say going back to my own computer . But then I remember what he said .

"Why did you say you come here for motivation.?"

"Because you give me the courage to be better . I wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't for you and your life . "

"So you're not doing it for yourself?"

"I am doing it to be a better version of me I guess . I'm doing it for both of us . Me , you and whatever it is to become of us if possible ever ." He says and I look at him but he looks down at his books. This is...giving me images I don't want to have .

......

It's been hours and we still haven't spoken . I don't know but it was just awkward after his little... confessing . The telephone rings and I quickly pick it up . It's the only thing that's been giving a little light awkwardness.

"Uh , hi . Amara Jones speaking...ok but I should look into it ... Wait a minute ." I say not putting the phone down.

Great, now I have to talk to him . I look at him and he's busy . I clear my throat and still no answer. I clear it louder and he looks at me .

"Someone seems to need help with a little computer problem."

"Now ?"

"I can bring them here ."

"Sure , I think I should I pack up though . It's quite late . "

"Ok , uh hi . You can come to my office. Bye."

Why does he look so down .

"Are you ok?" I ask him putting down the phone and he looks at me with tired eyes . Well , he's always had tired eyes so...

"Just tired , but I just gave to go through my last papers for this term . I can't wait for summer break."

Before I can say anything the door opens and a man walks in .

"Hi ma'am, I'm here." I show him Adriano and he nods heading to him.

......

Adriano

"I don't know what happened, but it just started glitching. "

I open the laptop and I finally see the problem. I look at him and he looks away .

"What's wrong ?" Amara asks and I just look at the guy , his eyes begging me to keep quite .

"Nothing serious." I say and the guy looks at me with a relieved look.

"I was told a few weeks ago to set the computers and laptops systems of this company . Restrain certain things . Be careful , I'll try to delete it from your laptop history along with the company system history ."

I whisper to him and he nods . He looks scared , I mean I would be too. I get into my laptop to delete his history . I don't know why he would risk it , but he looks like he regrets it . I hope he does and won't repeat it .

After a while the man leaves and I sigh looking at my phone .

"What was the problem?"

"I can't tell you , it's private information."

"But it's not his computer ."

"No it's his laptop."

"Ok , don't try to act smart here . Computer...laptop it's the same thing . Was it anything serious though?"

"No , he just had technical issues . That's all."

"Of course it's technical , you know what... nevermind don't tell me ."

.....

Amara

Why wouldn't he tell me , but I guess I understand his situation. Again , we're quite .

"When are you writing?"

"Uhm , in a few days . It's my second last paper."

"Wow , all this time you were writing? Nice ."

"Yeah , once I'm done I shall be layed back."

"By the way, we're planning on taking a little trip as our company. All the co-workers will be there . A little getaway from working."

"Ok..."

Ugh , does he have to make it hard.

"Do you maybe want to join ?"

"Depends , where is it?"

"Paris. Rue de Furstemberg. A very nice place . "

"Isn't that place like... expensive."

"It doesn't have to be expensive. You will be with other workers , you guys can go wherever you feel it's enough ."

"When?"

"In a week . Should I count you in ?"

He looks down as if he's thinking.

"Yeah , sure why not." He says and I look down to smile.

"Ok , but is Penny the receptionist going as well." He continues shocking me as I look up at him.

WHAT? Why ? My smile drops immediately and painfully.

"Why ?"

"Well she's practically the only friend I have here ?"

"You don't have any other friends."

"I know her more th-"

"Why do your friends always have to be girls . "

I cut him off unknowingly and harsher than I intended to be . I look at him and I can see his eyes are teary or maybe mine are .

"Do you still talk to her ?"

"Ama-"

"Answer me ."

"No . "

"Ok , leave please ...I said leave . Now ."

He stands up and quickly leaves . This escalated really fast and I didn't like it . But we couldn't just act like nothing happened, one of us was bound to go off topic and I knew it would he me.