The Village Drunkards

## Chapter 1: The Unlikely Trio

In the quaint and quiet village of Chikuni, life moved at a gentle pace. The sun rose over the same thatched roofs every morning, and the rooster crowed his dawn serenade to sleepy villagers who preferred another hour or two in bed. Chikuni was a place where everyone knew everyone, and secrets were about as rare as a day without rain. Amidst this predictable backdrop thrived an unlikely trio of misfits known to all as the village drunkards.

First, there was old Mubanga. With a face as craggy as the cliffs and a nose that glowed as red as a cherry, Mubanga was a fixture at the village tavern, The Wobbly Drum. He claimed to have crossed the Zambezi River on a raft of banana leaves and fought off crocodiles with his bare hands, but most villagers suspected he’d never been further than the next village over.

Next was skinny Chansa, aptly named for his wiry frame and stick-like limbs. Chansa had an endless supply of tall tales, each more unbelievable than the last. His stories often featured heroic acts of bravery and strength, none of which had witnesses apart from his faithful dog, Balazo, who somehow always looked skeptical.

Lastly, there was merry Mutinta, a boisterous woman with a laugh that could rattle windows. Mutinta had a voice that could be heard across the village square and a penchant for dancing on tables after one too many calabashes of chibuku. Her bright headscarves and flamboyant chitenge dresses made her impossible to miss.

### Chapter 2: The Great Bet

The trio spent their days concocting ever more elaborate plans to amuse themselves and, more often than not, to annoy the rest of the villagers. One particularly dull afternoon, as they sat nursing their drinks at The Wobbly Drum, Mubanga proposed a bet.

“Let’s see who can stay sober for a whole week!” he declared, slamming his calabash on the table for emphasis.

Chansa and Mutinta stared at him, their faces a mixture of horror and disbelief.

“A week?” Chansa squeaked. “Are you mad, Mubanga?”

Mutinta laughed so hard she nearly fell off her chair. “I’ll take that bet! There’s no way you two can stay sober for more than a day, let alone a week.”

And so, the challenge was set. The three shook on it, their hands sticky with chibuku, and the villagers who overheard chuckled, betting among themselves on how long the trio would last.

### Chapter 3: The First Day

Day one started with a collective groan. The sun had barely risen, and already Mubanga, Chansa, and Mutinta were feeling the effects of their decision. The Wobbly Drum seemed to loom larger than usual, its doors beckoning like sirens.

To distract themselves, they decided to take a walk through the village, hoping the fresh air would clear their heads. But every corner they turned, they were reminded of their favorite pastime. Mrs. Kalunga’s pies cooling on the windowsill smelled suspiciously like brandy. Farmer Mwansa’s barn, usually a dull sight, now seemed a potential treasure trove of moonshine.

By noon, Chansa was beginning to twitch. “I can’t do it,” he muttered, eyeing the tavern. “I’m seeing calabashes of chibuku everywhere.”

Mutinta grabbed his arm. “Stay strong, Chansa! We need to find something to keep our minds off the drink.”

### Chapter 4: The Distraction

In a desperate bid for distraction, the trio decided to help with the village fair preparations. Surely, they thought, the bustle of activity would keep their minds occupied.

Their first task was to set up the tents. Simple enough, one would think, but old Mubanga managed to tie himself to a post within minutes. Chansa’s attempt to free him resulted in the entire tent collapsing in a heap of canvas and poles.