prenatal vitamins

"Oh."

Sarahs face dropped, all sign of contentment disappearing as she stared into Lana's face. "How far are you?" She asked, eyes dropping to her stomach that was hidden by a comfortable hoodie. "I don't know." Alana replied, looking down.

"You don't know? Lana have you even been to the doctor yet?" Sarah exclaimed, looking at the girl with an accusatory look. "I guess i just thought I'd ignore it until i went into labour." Lana joked, looking up and frowning at the underwhelming reaction from Sarah.

"I'll make you an appointment, you'll pay me back by making me the babies aunt. Deal?" Sarah asked, and Alana didn't really process her offer. All she was paying attention to was the fact that this was the first time that somebody had ever referred to the fetus as a real baby. It made Lana shiver.

"Okay, deal," Lana paused, "text me the dates." She gave Sarah a small, uncomfortable smile. "Just to be clear, JJ is the father." Lana added before she left the room, just as abruptly as she had entered.

________________________________

Five days later

"You are in fact pregnant." A tall, slightly chubby black woman spoke, looking at some machine or other before turning to Lana. Sarah had finally managed an appointment for the doctor, which Lana was calling the pregnancy doctor, seeing as she couldn't pronounce the real name of what those specific doctors were called. Something that began with a P, or a G. Alana wasn't really bothered to remember.

"You look 'round 11 weeks," she paused to look at Lana again. "That sound 'bout right?" She asked, to which Alana nodded, not knowing what else to say. Sarah was the person in the room with her, they needed to clarify at least twice today that they were not lesbians and that they were both in high school.

Alana was exhausted.

After roughly fifteen minutes, Lana was finally good to stand up off of the little bed. While she was reaching for her hoodie, she caught sight of her stomach in the mirror. Was it really that small? She felt like it was at least ten times bigger.

"Surprising how small the bump seems to other people, 'innit," the doctor suddenly spoke. "Betcha you could wear a bikini to the beach 'n the only thing that would happen is some girls gossiping 'bout how you've let yourself go." She spoke, her warm smile gave Lana a bit of comfort. It reminded her of JJ's smile.

Sarah bought Lana some prenatal vitamins while they were leaving, the walk back towards the car being left painfully awkward.

________________________________

"I can't actually believe it." Sarah suddenly spoke on the drive home.

"Remember when we were younger and we used to run around all summer pretending that our little dolls were real children?" Lana asked with a chuckle, suddenly realising how much money she would pay to go back to that. "Yeah." Sarah smiled as an easy laugh fell from her mouth.

"The doctor was nice." Sarah mentioned casually, almost as if silently asking for Lana's opinion.

"Yeah." She mumbled, resting her head against the window while her hand found its way onto her stomach.

"Do you love it?" Sarah suddenly asked, momentarily taking her eyes off of the road around look at her best friend. "I don't know." Alana replied, honestly, "i feel like I'd be sad if something were to happen to it, but I wouldn't say no to going back in time and warning myself." She chuckled, letting the hand drop from her stomach.

"Is he involved? JJ." Sarah clarified, mentioning his name sharply. "I think so." Lana replied, a sort of question added to her tone. "I hope so." She added.

________________________________

Sarah was pulling up to the chateau when Lana heart it. His laughter. Alana didn't realise how much she missed him until now. "See you." She smiled gratefully at Sarah before opening the door, hiding the bottle of vitamins and papers underneath her baggy shirt. "Hey Lana!" Kiara greeted, standing up to give the girl a side hug.

"Hey kie, I'll be right out I just need to put something in my room." Lana smiled, narrowly escaping from dropping her papers.

She jogged towards her room, quickly shoving everything into her bottom drawer and flinching aggressively when a voice appeared in her doorframe.

"Hey Alana."

________________________________

A/N

finally gave my chapters names ..

for all readers that didn't yet read the updated 'meet the fam', chapters with a 🤍 in the title ARE NOT STORY CHAPTERS.

theyre usually just extra info or something.

sorry for the lazy chapter beautifuls🙏🙏