Chapter 5

The man that the hospital has come to nickname "handsome Lang" was really the talk of the hospital. Mostly about his eyes and smile.

He was slowly recovering and doing more things, like walking around the garden accompanied by a nurse or two and having meals outside in the general areas.

He really hardly said much, but that didn't deter any company. He was a great listener, so people spoke many words, and he just listened.

The truth is that he looked forward to hearing Zhan speak the most, but he never said that to anyone but Zhan himself.

Today, as he sat on his bed, he was feeling overwhelmed because people spoke a lot about their families. He was deep in thought when Zhan walked in and didn't even hear him.

"Mr Lang, what has caught your attention today? You are so deep in thought that you couldn't even hear me Greet you."

"Sorry, Dr. Xiao. Good evening. I was just thinking about what kind of family I might have out there."

"What sparked that thought?"

"I guess lately I am realizing that even though I am always surrounded by people, none of them are my family. So, that has me wondering why there has never been anyone to come find me here."

Zhan felt a pang of pain in his heart because he knew why no one had come to see him and also why no one was looking for him. He is a dead man in the minds of those who knew him.

"And what conclusions have you come to?"

"Well, maybe I was a really terrible person and no one wants to associate with me, or all of my family members are dead, or my family is so poor that they don't want to come claim me and risk taking over the hospital bill. I don't know, but since earlier, I have been drawn to the name Wang not Lang."

"Really? That's a good sign, isn't it? It might mean that some parts of your memories might be coming back."

"Who knows? With the lack of family around me, I am scared of remembering. This almost feels like a new start. Like I get to choose who I want to be. I don't know if I am making any sense."

"You are making sense, but our past makes us who we are. You don't need to lose your memory to have a new start. Knowing everything about yourself helps you not run from your past but to face it and deal with it completely so there are no more skeletons in the closet that might come get you later in life."

Zhan noted that Mr Lang didn't respond. It is not clear whether it is because he didn't agree with Zhan or he just ran out of words for the day. This is the longest Zhan has ever heard Mr Lang speak. And the fact that he said all he wanted to say and just stayed silent after didn't come as a surprise to Zhan. Most of their conversations ended this way.

Zhan held on to the name Wang. He wanted to search a bit deeper about it.

"OK, it seems you are recovering well. I am done with your check-up. Tomorrow, you will move to the rehab ward, and unfortunately, that means I will be seeing less of you, but fortunately, that also means you are almost fully recovered."

"Why do I need to move?"

"Well, this is a ward for critically sick patients, and since you are no longer critical, it's good that you go to rehab where they will deal with things like strengthening your muscles, helping you with your memory and coordination. It's a good thing, Mr Lang. Do you understand me?"

The frown on Mr Lang's face was visibly deeper than usual. Zhan knew it was not because he was confused. It was because he was displeased with the decision to move him.