Chapter Nine

The rumbling of the engine of the van is the only sound that permeates the inside of it. Diana picks at a loose thread on her jeans. She is actually feeling rather uncomfortable in the silence. Because she knows it isn't a comfortable one. It's an angry, cautious, worried one. And it is radiating from Daryl who sits across from her stewing in his anger and his concern over his brother. He barely acknowledges any of them as they drive towards the city. Just thinking about Merle. About whatever state he might be in. Good or bad. Neither of which is all that good actually. It was hot yesterday. The sun beaming down on them and he was not left with any water. Dehydration and sunstroke are good outcomes in comparison to the other outcomes. Glenn cuts the engine on the van and it is utterly silent for a moment. Daryl moves first, pushing himself up and moving to open the shutter on the van. T-Dog lets out a breath and shares a look with Diana who shrugs back at him. Daryl has every right to be worried about his brother no matter how much of a dick Merle is. The others won't understand the pack bond pull. She feels it for Derek. Daryl must feel it for Merle too. It's hard being separated from a pack member and worse if they have no idea what is happening with the other.

"He'd better be okay" Daryl warns as they climb out of the van. Rick and Glenn climb out of the front of the van. "It's my only word on the matter"

"I told you" T-Dog defends himself as he follows. "The geeks can't get at him. The only thing that's gonna get through that door is us" Daryl growls a little as he heads onward without giving a response. Diana climbs out of the van, then pulls down the shutter on the van and jogs after the group, Rick glancing back to make sure that she is with them. She has a feeling that that's going to be a running theme because of his promise to Shane. To bring her back in one piece. She has no intention of falling before she sees Derek again, so he has nothing to worry about. He looks forward to watch where they are going, where T-Dog and Glenn are now leading them. Daryl has slipped back a little with the realisation that he has no idea where he is going. But he is impatient and slipping. His fingers curling into his palm tighter with every step he takes after them.

"Merle first or guns?" Rick asks as they head towards the wire fence ahead that will lead them into the city.

"Merle" Daryl answers quickly, leaving no room for argument. "We ain't even having this conversation"

"We are" Rick counters and turns to Glenn as T-Dog cuts through the fence to allow them access. "You know the geography" Glenn glances nervously at Daryl who is staring him down. "It's your call" Rick assures Glenn.

"Merle's closest" Glenn answers. "The guns would mean doubling back" Glenn nods. "Merle first" Daryl snorts and pushes through the fence. That's what he said in the first place and this delay was for nought.

......

They make it up to the roof of the department store without much trouble and without too many walkers, only coming across one within the store itself that needed dealing with. Considering how many Rick said had made their way in when they fled is a little concerning that they haven't come across them. They could have dispersed anywhere and that means they could pop up at any moment to ambush them. Though she can't hear any nearby. The city is almost silent. If not for their own sounds as they move. Their boots on the ground, their breathing, the jangling of clothing.

Diana keeps her gun and her knife to hand, just in case as they cross the roof. But she'll likely hear them coming long before anyone other than Daryl, though his focus on his brother might distract him from his enhanced senses. It might just be her that will hear them coming. She sticks to the back of the group as they reach the pipe where Rick had handcuffed Merle. But he's not there. Not all of him is here.

"No!" Daryl shouts as he stares down at the empty handcuffs, the severed hand, and the bloodied saw below them. Merle had clearly carved his way free. "No!" He paces a little as he starts to panic about his brother's outcome. However Diana sees something different. Diana tucks her gun and her knife away as she passes them. Her eyes on the floor as she follows blood drops. Crouching, she touches the blood on the ground and takes a deep breath. Scenting the area. It's definitely Merle's blood. Probably from the wound that he's given himself. But that means he's likely walked away. Meaning he is likely alive. She pushes herself to her feet and ignores the fuss behind her. The almost clash between the men as Daryl threatens to unleash his anger. Diana follows the blood trail to the edge of the roof where the fire escape goes down half-way. She leans over the edge to see if she can spot where Merle could have gone. She hums a little and then vaults over the roof onto the fire escape.

"Diana" Rick hisses as he races after her, Glenn and Daryl not that far behind. T-Dog makes a stop for Dale's tools before he joins them in their chase of Diana.