Chapter 12

As we finish our walk, we start heading to the car. "We should have a picnic here!" Valentina says cheerfully. "Valley, do we even have food?" One thing I've noticed about Blake is that he asks all the questions we're wondering. "Of course, Blake. While you weren't looking, I packed some snacks, a blanket, and water bottles. I'm literally a hero." Valentina says, smirks pridefully. "I'm down," Kai says, "are you free to, Aurea?" I turn around to face Kai, who isn't that far behind me. Since I stopped walking, and he was still walking when he said that he walked into me- or I was in his way. As we bump, I start stumbling. Before I can fall, I feel two muscular arms around my torso. For a second all I see is black before I back out of what appears to be Kai's chest- side note its very firm, almost like a rock. I look up at his face, and I go red. "I'm so sorry!" I say backing out of his grip, "I didn't realize you'd continue walking and-" Kai cuts me off and says, "No, Im sorry. I should've been paying attention to where I was heading." I try to apologize again, it truly felt like my fault, but Valentina has interrupted, "Both of you two are to blame." And like that, the matter was settled.

"Okay, well, back to my question. Can you join us?" Kai asks me with almost puppy dog eyes, which is freaking adorable. "I'd love to," I say with a smile, "I only have emails and texts to send, and putting that aside sounds a lot more fun." Valentina smiles and grabs her secretly hidden picnic basket. "How did you manage to hide this so well?" Blake asks impressed by her skill. She laughs, "Blakie, I got my ways."

Eventually we found a little sitting spot under a shady tree. "This is beautiful!" Valentina almost yells out. She grabs her picnic blanket and lays it down on the ground. Almost immediately everyone hops onto the soft blue blanket. "You must be prepared for anything Valentina." "Oh, I am. Everything I might ever need is always in a purse, or bag of some sorts." I smile, knowing that if I ever have an emergency, I'll know who to call for. "Hurry and open the basket, dummy." Kai urges Valentina. "Kai, I swear you need to shut up sometimes." She opens her basket and shows us all her snacks. Cookies- homemade I assume- goldfish, fruits, gummy worms, popcorn, and chex mix. I stare, gaping at all the amazing options. "Holy crap, Valley!! Did you pack our whole kitchen up?" Blake sounds partly pissed and partly just surprised. Kai and I bust out laughing as Valentina tries to defend herself.

As I sit between Kai and Valentina, Blake stares at me, knowingly, of how I feel about Kai. I enjoy that Blake can easily read the room. "Kaaaaai! You're eating all the goldfish!" Valentina is whining, but not surprising considering Kai is being an annoying older brother figure. "Wait! Kai! Let's see who can hold more in their mouth." I'm glad I'm not personally participating in this silly contest, but I will admit its funny seeing them shove handfuls of goldfish in their mouths. Blake shakes his head as he picks up a cookie. Valentina's mouth is slightly smaller than Kai's so it interesting to see her try and fit as much as Kai. Kai starts chocking and gagging which leads me to start dying of laughter. Blake, being the amazing person he is, hands Kai a water and says, "Chew your food, Kai." Kai fights back saying, "Mo! Mm trmmna wma!!" Which translate into, "NO! Im trying to win!!"

Kai keeps making gagging sounds, which is extremely concerning. Blake puts both his hands to cup his mouth and whispers something to me, "With all his gagging, I think Valley's gonna win." Blake and I share a snarky smirk. As I try and reach for some goldfish, which I haven't had in forever, a hand slaps mine away. "Awrea! Mo! Mnm!" I glare at Kai. I reach for the gummy worms, and say, "Kai, you're so obnoxious. Why does this competition even matter?" Kai ignores me. As everything was going chaotically peaceful, Valentina throws her goldfish up. "MM WMM!!!" Kai tries to say "I win" with all the food in his mouth. I start holding Valentina's hair back. It's so soft, like freshly fallen snow. Blake hands his sister a water. "I totally didn't see this coming..." Blake says sarcastically. Kai somehow swallows all his food in about thirty seconds. "HAHA! I win!" Valentina looks at him like she might kill him. "Kai, shut your mouth before I take these soggy goldfish and throw them at your ugly, cow-like face." I wasn't expecting that cow part to come from Valentina. Kai grins and keeps his mouth shut.

After ten minutes of peaceful and playful conversation, Kai stands up and starts shouting, "Like, give it up, it's me! I win, you lose! Hahahaha." He references the Nicki Minaj song "Itty Bitty Piggy." He keeps repeating it and runs around the blanket. Valentina gets up and starts chasing him. To by standers this may seem childish and stupid but to me, this was what I craved. Funny occasions of playful fighting, get together with friends, meals with the people you care most about. I had that in Florida, but in California it was like times five the level of fun. Blake shrugs and turns to me. "We should probably start cleaning up and packing." I nod my head to his statement. I start putting the half-eaten food back into the basket, glancing every now and then to see Kai and Valentina still at it. Blake looks at me and grins, "Do you like Kai?" Although an easy question to answer, I can't seem to find the words right away. "Umm," I stumble over my words, "I think so," I continue to stare at Kai. His cheeks are practically glowing red, and the tips of his hair are slightly drenched in sweat. Blake smiles. "I think you two would be compatible. The way you two look at each other is unlike him. He's never looked at a girl the way he's looked at you. So lovingly and delicate." Blake looks at me with his smile and I just stare at him. I can't love Kai right now. My life is too messed up right now. He won't want a girl he just met and barely knows.

Im pretty silent as I walk back to the car, lost in thought. Im only taken back to reality when Kai snaps his fingers in my face asking if he can have the AUX cord. "Huh? Oh, sure," I toss the cord to him. He starts playing a really weird mix of songs such as you spin me right round but the Alvin and chipmunk version, let it grow from the Lorax movie, I like to move it from the Madagascar movie, and most interestingly the stupid crazy frog song. Valentina and Kai seem to love it and are singing along. Blake looks antagonized. "Can we please play a normal song?" The begging in Blake's voice is hilarious. Kai, in a sing-song voice says, "NooOOooooOooO." It was nice to see Valentina and Kai actually getting along but at what price? Blake and mine's sanity?

After parting ways with my new friends, I head back to my dorm room, feeling happy. I open the door and look at the clock the sits above the kitchen oven. It's twelve, which means it nine in Florida. I should send the text. I start pacing around my dorm, opening curtains, putting happy music on and thinking.

"Hey, Kendra!" gotta sound happy I think to myself, "it's been so long, I agree. Congrats on the proposal! I'm so glad you're marring the man of your dreams." How am I supposed to accept being a maid of honor? College didn't tell me that my ex-best friend would ask such a heavy request. "I'd be honored to stand next to you on your big day! Love, Aurea." Pfft, I didn't need her to love me, I've got myself and that's all I need. Well, I also have Kai, but Blake could be lying about him liking. Then again Blake doesn't seem to be the kind to lie.

I finally breathe when I send the message. Now I just need to wait for a painful message back.