TO LOVE A HYBRID

ONE SHOT STORY

I still remember when I moved into this pack. It was a very cold night, after running for hours from my old one that was burning to the ground.
The pack isn’t that bad. The alpha is an asshole at times, but he really takes good care of his pack members. One man who got the short end of the stick was Axel. Axel isn’t like normal werewolves. He is a wereorc.

His mother fell in love with King Kiran, an old Orc king, and they had a baby. Interspecies breeding is not impossible, but orcs and werewolves are known to be incompatible. In essence, he isn’t supposed to exist at all.

There is a sort of spectrum we use to judge compatibility. The closer the creatures are in DNA, the better the chance of breeding. Werewolves and orcs are a few creatures away from each other. Werewolves have a higher chance with other mammal shifters and orcs have a chance with the fae and witches because their magic ensures protection and sustenance of the offspring since orc babies tend to be big and often need magic to be kept alive.

Since I’m a hybrid of a human and a witch, I decided that being a doctor in my previous pack was the best option for me. Here, though, I opted to just focus on the witch side of myself and become a traditional healer. The alpha was kind enough to allow me to stay in the woods on the pack territory. It’s peaceful and quiet out here, and I’m closer to the herbs I need.

Most werewolves are wary of hybrids because of how unstable they tend to get. The more a pairing is uncommon, the more unstable and dangerous the offspring is perceived.

Axel stays far away from me, but he is also in the middle of the woods. He stays in his wolf form most of the time and does not engage in social events because of how aggressive he gets. The poor guy inherited all the bad stuff from the two species. The aggression of both the violent nature, brute strength, and not to and the territorial nature of werewolves so he too has his own space.

When he is in his human form, he does come to my home to share some of my herbal teas and just to talk. At 32 years of age, he still hasn’t found his mate, and that makes his wolf psychotic. He is always off going hunting since he stays in his wolf most times, and he does bring me meat from most of his kills, and we share meals sometimes.

His mother passed away at birth, leaving behind a selection of beads and letters that were meant to make him understand what happened. His father had died in his sleep a week after. The explanation was that the mark from his mother demanded he be with her even in the afterlife.

It’s now around 9 pm at night, and I just finished burning some herbs to cleanse my home and getting ready for a bath. As I’m taking off my clothes, there is a banging on my door, a very loud and erratic banging. I throw on a robe and rush to the door.

“okay, okay, I’m here now, you can stop banging my door” and as I open, Axel just grabs me and pulls me to his chest, well he does have to pick me up for it.
He pulls me in and just inhales my scent, very loudly might I add. “Axel, is everything okay?”

“nothing is okay. The alpha has requested that I join them in the attack on the rogue pack. More than 200 women from different packs have been kidnapped by them, and so we are going to rescue them.”

“Oh, are you okay with that?”
“I’m not sure how I feel about it, my wolf is going berserk at the thought of blood and I am pumped to go to war, yet I feel like I want to be here with you and hold you like this”

I’m still in his arms, so he just kicks my door and closes it, then walks over to my kitchen table and places me on top of it, and stands between my legs.

“Axel you know that pack rules don’t allow unmated wolves to be involved with anyone who is not their mate”
“I know that, but I also cannot pretend that you aren’t who I want. My wolf is silent on this matter, but my heart yearns for you, and you know this.” He cups my face in his large hands, staring into my eyes, and before I know it, he places a chaste kiss on my lips and then hugs me.