Chapter 5: The Masked Man

Thomas woke up the next day feeling refreshed and excited for his first true Guard apprentice lesson. He hopped out of bed and quickly slipped on his new Guard armor even before the fifteen minute announcement occurred. While he waited, Thomas watched the News Channel, hoping that Valerie was still on the run.

"Escaped Visionary Valerie Frostwell is still on the run somewhere in Washington City," announced the reporter. "Remember, if you see her, contact a Guard, Officer, Pilot, or Detective immediately, so her lethal powers can be prevented. In other news, a strange man wearing entirely black clothes attacked a train yesterday evening. He had acquired a stolen Tech Gun, and used it shoot a Pennsylvania City scientist, later identified as Grant Paulsen. Witnesses say that the mysterious masked man stole a key crafted entirely from diamonds from Grant's pocket. We are unaware of the Grant's current status. We also encourage residents to notify Guards or Officers if you see this mysterious Masked Man."

Well, at least Valerie is still on the run, thought Thomas. I just hope that the mysterious masked man doesn't cause any more trouble. It's bad enough that he might've killed that scientist already. At least he's diverting attention away from Valerie...

"All Guard apprentices are to be outside of the President Spire in ten minutes. Repeat: all Guard apprentices are to be outside of the President Spire in ten minutes!" blared the speaker. Thomas creaked open his door and hurriedly traversed to the elevator, pushing the 1st floor button. Within a few minutes, the silver elevator doors had slid open and Thomas ran through the front doors of the legendary President Spire.

All of the apprentices, along with Sir Rent, were already outside, waiting. Thomas walked over to them and stood facing Sir Rent. "Sorry," he apologized.

"It's alright, you weren't even late anyway. Everyone else just got here early," he replied, chuckling. "Anyway, today you have your first real training lesson, which is basic Tech Gun shooting." The apprentices chattered excitedly.

"Now, don't get your hopes up," warned Sir Rent. "Remember, it's only BASIC training. Emphasis on basic." He pointed to a silver container he had placed next to himself. "This container is the Tech Gun box. You may choose your weapon now." The apprentices each dashed to the container and each chose a Tech Gun, some of the smaller apprentices struggling slightly with its weight.

"Okay," began Sir Rent, staring intently at the apprentices. "Now who's going to go first?" A tall, red-haired boy named Justin raised his hand.

"Alright, Justin, come over here," said Sir Rent, beckoning him over. He pointed into the distance. "Do you see that target over there?" Justin nodded. "Okay, I want you to try to get a bullseye on it." Justin aimed, gazing at the target. He fired, and the bolt of energy missed by about two feet, landing instead on the ground and charring a few unlucky pieces of grass.

"That's alright," assured Sir Rent. "Practice makes perfect. Try again." Justin aimed again, and this time was able to hit the edge of the target. "See?" exclaimed Sir Rent. "You get better and better every time. I'll set up more targets so that three apprentices can go at once." Sir Rent then set up two more targets. Justin stayed at his, so Luke and Claire (the only female Guard apprentice besides Jadie) joined him. All three of them hit very close to the center of the target, and then Thomas, Jadie, and a short, slightly overweight boy named David stepped up next.

"Okay, now remember," began Sir Rent. "Only focus on your Tech Gun and your target, and you should be able to land an accurate shot. However, you should know that it's definitely more difficult when you're out on a mission in real life, because the target will be moving, and they'll often know bullet-dodging techniques." Thomas pointed his Tech Gun at the center of the target and tried as hard as he could to focus only on his gun and his target. He fired, and the bullet of energy flew straight into the rim.

"Not bad for a first try," commented Sir Rent, impressed.

The rest of the lesson went by fairly quickly. Every apprentice performed well, however, none of them had hit the bullseye yet. After the lesson ended, it had started to rain.

"Oh, great," exclaimed Sir Rent sarcastically. He proceeded to put away the Guard equipment as he was bombarded by the sudden rain.

Weather in Washington City is controlled by Pilots inside of the atmosphere-controlling planes in the sky. President Weatherford would decide what the weather would be like on any given day, and the Atmosphere-Plane Pilots would obey his orders, meaning that President Weatherford had ordered the rain.

Thomas thought that the rain was a pleasant change, especially after about a month of plain, sunny skies.They were nice for the first week or so, but after that people craved variety.

Thomas and the rest of the Guard apprentices hastily stuck their Tech Guns back into the container and trooped back inside. Thomas started walking with Luke and Jadie down the hallway of the apprentices' rooms, and they had just reached the door to Thomas' room when it burst open automatically, and a strange man wearing entirely black clothes and a mask confronted the three apprentices.

"You kids aren't going anywhere," growled the man, pointing his stolen Tech Gun menacingly at them.

"And who are you?" asked Jadie defiantly. Thomas immediately recognized him as the mysterious Masked Man.

"That's none of your business," replied the Masked Man. "Now take me to President Weatherford's office. I have a surprise for him. Oh, and if you scream for help, I WILL shoot." Judging by the look in his eyes, Thomas didn't doubt him.

Luke sighed. "Why us?"

"Bad luck, I guess," answered Jadie fearfully. Thomas, Luke, and Jadie led the Masked Man to the elevator and pressed the dimly illuminated top floor button. The elevator moved slowly upwards, and within minutes, had reached its destination. The door opened and the elevator Guard widened her eyes in shock. The Masked Man shot a bullet of energy into her stomach, and she fell to the ground, unmoving.

"Now which way is the office?" inquired the Masked Man, keeping the Tech gun pointed at Luke's head.

"I-I think this way," stuttered Luke, pointing to the right. The three apprentices once again led The Masked Man down the exquisitely decorated hallway and to the door of President Weatherford's office. The Masked Man opened the door only to be confronted by the Tech Guns of Sir Rent and another guard, Sir Briggs. Sir Rent quickly disarmed The Masked Man while Sir Briggs took the apprentices out of harm's way. President Weatherford stood up from his desk, leaving his unfinished paperwork, and paced slowly towards the Masked Man.

"I had a feeling this would happen," said President Weatherford. "And I think I know who you are, as well. Sir Rent, unmask him." Sir Rent grabbed the black mask and pulled it off of his face, revealing him to be an older man, seeming to be in his seventies.

What the! thought Thomas. How did a guy so old capture us and take down two people so quickly and well?"

"Yes," began President Weatherford. "I knew it would be you, Ed Nightman. Sir Rent, you take Ed to Washington Prison, and make sure he gets a top security cell. Sir Briggs, you escort these three apprentices back to their rooms. And as for you three, you saw nothing. Do not mention this to anybody else. Do you understand?" Thomas, Luke, and Jadie nodded.

Sir Briggs escorted Thomas back to his room.

"Thomas," Sir Briggs said. "Make sure you follow up on your promise to Weatherford. Things won't be pretty if you don't." Thomas returned to his room, hung his Guard armor back in his closet, and laid awake on his bed. Sir Briggs' warning was starting to seem very much like a veiled threat, and Thomas laid awake in thought for hours.

Ed...Nightman? he thought. That's the same last name as that Paul Nightman Sir Rent and Sir Bodis were talking about the other day. Ed is probably related to Paul... and that was the last thing he thought of before he drifted off to sleep.