Chapter 10: Library Reunion

Sir Connor Rent knocked three times on the door to President Weatherford's office. Weatherford opened the door cautiously, realized who he was, and let him in.

"Sir Rent," greeted Weatherford. "Do you need anything?" He sat down. President Lloyd Weatherford's office was decorated with an expensive blue rug, complimented by paintings, one hanging on each wall. A desk almost overflowing with notes and paperwork was placed in the middle of the room, next to a big armchair which Weatherford now sat in.

"Yes," replied Sir Rent simply, clearing his throat. "Are you absolutely sure you want to continue producing the Guard Robots?"

"Of course," Weatherford answered, staring at Sir Rent pensively. "Is there any reason not to?"

"Robots are programmed. They're incapable of choosing their actions through human emotion."

"Yes, the very reason I'm producing them."

"But lack of emotion could backfire horribly," warned Sir Rent, pacing around the room.

"How so?"

"If anyone somehow snuck into the lab, they could use the mainframe to program the robots to do anything they'd like."

"How would anyone else know how to use the mainframe? Only I and a select few have the expertise," countered Weatherford.

"You seem to be forgetting Pilot apprentices. If they can fly jets, they can program the mainframe."

"Perhaps, but Pilot apprentices wouldn't know the robots ever existed. They're still prototypes. Only You, my Officers, Sir Briggs, and Madam Park, and your apprentices know they exist."

"Unfortunately, that's not true," said Sir Rent, abruptly stopping his pacing. "I've received a tip that someone will hack into the mainframe tonight with malicious intentions."

"And who so generously gave you this tip?"

"David, one of my apprentices."

"How would David know?" inquired Weatherford, gaining interest.

"After today's lesson, David left to visit his parents. He said he'd accidentally let something slip about the robots, and his older Pilot Apprentice brother said he wanted to "mess with those." Everyone knows where the lab is-- and of course it's heavily guarded during the day, when people are going in and out. At night, it's left unguarded, as you know. David said that only a few minutes after the incident his brother left the house. He assumes-- as do I, that his brother, Logan Johnson, will attempt to hack the mainframe tonight."

"Well," began Weatherford. "If it worries you so deeply, I can send a couple Officers down to guard the mainframe."

"I only hope you aren't too late," Sir Rent replied. Weatherford stood up and opened the door only to find himself face to face with a robot. Weatherford jumped slightly backwards in surprise, and the robot proceeded to shoot him in the stomach...with its paintball gun. Within seconds both men and Weatherford's office was covered in multicolored paint splatters.

Sir Rent tackled the robot and deactivated it, then sprinted to the elevator and down towards the lab.

***

The next morning, Thomas woke up and watched the daily news report. Once again, nothing had changed, meaning that Valerie was still on the run. He changed into his Guard armor and walked into the hallway. He was accompanied by Luke, Jadie, and David into the elevator. David kept shifting his gaze nervously.

"David," said Jadie. "Is there anything wrong?"

"I hope not," was all David said in reply. Jadie looked at Thomas and shrugged. Thomas hoped David would be alright.