Chapter 7: Peter

After Peter Arian had been revealed as the new Host, he was taken immediately to the looming President Spire by Sir Briggs and Sir Bodis. The Host's floor was very high up, giving Peter a spectacular view of Washington City, especially at night when the blue light reflects through the tall window.

Peter didn't really see the point of being a Host, or even what the name meant. He never did any sort of job or had any lessons. He was, however, treated nicely. He was given some of the nicest food the President's cooks could conjure, and his room was luxurious. He only wondered what the title of "Host" meant. Was he the host of the President Spire? Perhaps of a game show? He had no idea.

***

President Weatherford stepped into the elevator, which then carried him to the ground floor. He held his hand up to a microscopic DNA scanner hidden in the corner of the elevator.

"DNA confirmed," said a robotic voice. A section of the wall opened to reveal one more elevator button. Weatherford pressed it, and he descended deep underground. The elevator doors slid open to reveal a dimly lit silver room, filled with nothing but a staircase descending down even further. He hurried down the steps, lit only by a dim blue light until he reached another high security door.

"DNA confirmed," announced the voice once again. this last room was the Central Chamber-- it's positioned literally in the deep center of Washington City. The Center Chamber was also dimly lit, and contained only two strange silver machines.

One seemed half-finished, still under construction. The other machine was a long, glass cylinder, held together by a silver frame with a copper control panel set in front of it. An unconscious old man was strapped inside of the glass cylinder. Weatherford swiftly walked to the control panel, pushed some buttons, pulled levers, and the old man was unstrapped, slumping to the bottom of the glass cylinder.

A shiny, silver lock sat embedded into the cylinder, and Weatherford extracted the diamond key out of his pocket; he then unlocked the cylinder, releasing the old man.

The old man fell to the ground. "What do you.....want....now?" rasped the old man.

"I'm sorry, Jonathan," began Weatherford. "But your time is up, and we need a new guardian of the city, a new Host."

"You...are going to...waste....someone else's life away?" asked Jonathan. "There must...be another way......"

Weatherford turned away. "I wish there was, Jonathan," he said. "However, that is not the case."

***

At around the same time, two Officers arrived at Peter's room, walking inside.

"Come with us," said Sir Edelman, one of the highest ranking officers. "President Weatherford needs you."

"Finally," thought Peter. "Maybe I'll find out what I do as the new Host." The two officers led Peter out of his room and into the silver elevator. They descended down to the ground floor, and Sir Edelman used the microscopic scanner.

"DNA confirmed." The elevator moved down even further.

"What is this?" questioned Peter. "Some kind of secret underground base?"

"Something like that," replied Sir Edelman mysteriously. "Only President Weatherford and a select few are allowed down." The elevator stopped; the doors slid open to reveal the first dimly lit room. The group of three descended the silver spiraling staircase. Once they reached the final door Sir Edelman held his hand up.

"Wait a minute," he said. "Sir Paylon, wait here with the Host." He then used the scanner and stepped into the center chamber, closing the door behind him.

"Ah, Sir Edelman," greeted Weatherford. "Did you bring the new Host?"

"He's waiting outside," answered Sir Edelman proudly.

"I had.....a family...." grunted Jonathan, too weak to stand. "And they...never knew.

"And?" said Weatherford.

Will the new Host's family.....never know....as well?"

"Why would they?" retorted Weatherford sharply, pacing around the room. "Washington City isn't ready for the truth. Perhaps they never will be."

"No!" shouted Jonathan as he lunged towards Weatherford, making a feeble attempt to fight him.

From the other side of the door, Peter and Sir Paylon heard a sudden, echoing gunshot, accompanied by a thud. Sir Edelman opened the door.

"Come on," he said, beckoning to them. Peter walked cautiously inside, and stop suddenly when he noticed Jonathan.

"Why's there a dead guy here?" he asked, panic rising in him.

"Never mind that," dismissed Weatherford. "Now it's time for you to do your job. Strap him in, Officers." Sir Edelman and Sir Paylon strapped a struggling Peter into the glass cylinder, hooking him up to an IV.

Weatherford rushed to the control panel. "Hurry!" he shouted. "We've only got a couple minutes left." Weatherford closed the cylinder, then hurried to it and pushed the diamond key into the lock, effectively trapping Peter inside. Weatherford turned towards the officers and tossed the Diamond Key to Sir Edelman.

"Make sure that gets to Fort Titanium, ASAP," he commanded. The group of three left the room and ascended the staircase, leaving Peter trapped inside the strange silver machine.