Arguing is a Bore

Hana groaned, rubbing at her sore eyes after reading eleven point font in her textbook as she tried to type up a rough draft for her lab essay. The essay wasn't due for another week, but the last thing she needed was to fall behind in her homework. Her thoughts immediately turned bitter when the sound of flapping wings alerted her to someone's sudden appearance.

     "You know, one of these days, someone is gonna see you drop in," the girl breathed, closing her textbook with her bookmark in place. "What are you doing here anyway? You should be watching over grandpa."

     "Oh, whatever, Hana; I know you secretly love my little visits-"

     "It must be a pretty good secret 'cause I didn't even know about it," she smirked devilishly, her voice innocent to the ear.

     He scowled at the interruption, continuing with: "I have Kishi watching over your grandfather while I hang out with you, Hana-chan."

     Her own sneer appeared at the suffix added to her name. "I told you to never call me that in public," she huffed, packing her messenger bag. "Why are you really here?"

     Sora looked around, glaring at a gap in the books on a shelf some yards away. "I'm here to escort you home...it's dangerous to walk home alone," he replied, his voice stern.

     "I've told you before, Sora: I'm perfectly capable of walking home on my own-" Hana started, soon being cut off by the taller of the two.

     "I have this book I really want to show you," Sora bluntly replied in a low voice, looking down at Hana. Her eyes widened in realization: there was a demon in town. Discreetly glancing around, she nodded slowly and allowed the man to walk her home.

✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪

     From the gap between the books on the shelf, coal black eyes watched the two walk away before flickering back to a vibrant hazel.

✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪

     Walking through the front door, Hana called for her grandfather. Instead of being greeted by the old man, a crow flew in to land on her outstretched arm. "Why, hello to you, too, Kishi," she smiled, petting the bird's head. The bird cawed happily, nuzzling her hand. "Been taking good care of gramps for me?" Hana asked, kicking off her shoes. The bird nodded in response, understanding the question. "Good boy," she praised.

     Once Sora closed the door, he placed some wards around the large home. "So, what is this one after? Do you know?" Hana asked, letting the crow fly away to do whatever it pleased. The man shrugged, looking at the girl with a narrow gaze.

     "I don't know if it knows I'm here...but it's targeting students at your school," Sora said. "Especially ones near us; what if it tries to get to you?"

     "Then, I'll gank the son of a bitch," she responded with the motion of slitting someone's neck, quoting one of her favorite book series that was all too real. Of course, Hana knew that the supernatural was real. She experienced it all the time. Hell, she lived with it everyday! Ghosts, demons, angels, monsters; you name it! She started studying up on the subject of all things not natural once it had made itself known to her.

     "Well, I mean, I won't kill the person if they're still there...but I can exorcise the demon, if need be," Hana added on, contemplating her choices. Sora watched Hana with a not-so-amused look upon his face. "What? It can't possess me; I got that tattoo for a reason, you know," she blurted out once she noticed the look he was giving her.

     "If the demon comes anywhere near you, you are definitely not going to try and 'gank' it," Sora stated, crossing his arms.

     "What!? Why not!" She exclaimed, bewildered by the fact that Sora was forbidding her from fighting the demon.

     "Because I'm supposed to keep you safe...I'm not going to risk you getting hurt or worse," he argued, trying his best not to raise his voice. Hana scoffed, tossing her hands into the air in exasperation. She couldn't believe how little trust Sora had in her. It probably stemmed from her grandfather's wishes for the girl to be cared for.

     "I can't believe you!" She breathed, leaving for the comfort of her room. After slamming the door, Hana groaned into her pillows and comforter. What faith the men around her had.