The birthday Gifts.

As I lay in bed, my mind drifted like autumn leaves dancing in the wind. Today was the day my sister Elena and I turned eighteen, a milestone we had long awaited. Yet the weight of my secrets bore down on me, casting a shadow over the joyous occasion.

I had finally shared some of the depths of my heart with Elena and the gang—the fears, the doubts, and the knotted emotions that had plagued my restless nights. The unburdening had been both freeing and frightening. Now, as the minutes ticked by, my anticipation morphed into uncertainty.

Elena's silence weighed heavily upon me, a shroud of mystery that concealed her true feelings. I yearned to know what thoughts stirred in her mind and what emotions churned in her heart. But as the silence persisted, I was left to navigate the unknown, reaching for a connection that seemed to have slipped through my fingers.

Questions swirled in my mind as I contemplated Elena's potential reactions. Would she offer solace and empathy, embracing my vulnerability? Or would her silence signify an insurmountable divide between us?

The room was dim, shadows playing upon the walls like spectral dancers. My heart thrummed with uncertainty as I dwelled in this moment of anticipation. I had laid my soul bare, and now I could only wait—a pause suspended in time.

I clung to the hope that our bond as sisters would provide comfort amidst the silence. Perhaps Elena's response would bring a pleasant surprise, shedding light on the path ahead. For now, all I could do was breathe, a tempest of emotions churning within me, awaiting the winds of revelation to guide me toward clarity.

As I lay there, teetering between hope and trepidation, I wondered what the morning would bring: a sunrise of understanding or a storm of emotions waiting to be unleashed.

Suddenly, I heard a knock on the door, pulling me from my reverie. "Come in," I called out, my voice trembling.

The door creaked open, and Elena stepped inside. Her expression was unreadable as she closed the door behind her and perched on the edge of the bed. Our eyes locked, and I held my breath, the silence between us heavy with anticipation.

"Cassie," Elena began, her voice soft yet earnest, "I'm sorry to ask, but do you think you could come downstairs for a moment? We really need to talk."

A jolt of fear shot through me. Was Elena about to scold me, lecture me, or, even worse, reject me? I braced myself for the worst, my heart pounding in my chest. "Okay," I replied, my voice barely a whisper.

Elena took a deep breath, reaching for my hand and squeezing it gently as our eyes met. "Cassie, I want you to know that I love you. You're my sister, my best friend, and nothing you've shared will ever change that. I'm here for you, no matter what."

A wave of relief crashed over me, my vision blurring with tears. I managed a smile and pulled Elena into a tight embrace. "Thank you, Elena. Thank you for being so understanding and supportive. You have no idea how much this means to me."

She hugged me back, her hand gently stroking my hair. "Of course, Cassie. I'm always here for you. And I'm proud of you for being brave and honest. You have nothing to be ashamed of. You are beautiful and amazing, just the way you are."

A warm glow blossomed in my chest, and I felt a deep sense of gratitude and love for my sister. "But," Elena added, her tone shifting slightly, "I am still really upset with you for disappearing for three months without any contact."

My heart skipped a beat as the reality of her words sank in. "I know, Elena," I admitted, my voice heavy with regret. "I'm truly sorry for putting you through that."

"I wouldn't expect anything less," I managed to say through my tears, a faint smile gracing my lips.

We made our way downstairs, where, to my surprise, Elena had gathered our mother and aunt to share my secret. They were hurt and saddened by my disappearance and the weight of the truth I'd been carrying. I couldn't blame them; after all, how does one broach the subject of being reincarnated deity with their loved ones?