Chapter 7

Weeks turned into months. After a month of being at the temple, Desmond had advanced considerably in the self-control of his abilities. His meditations became more effective and he established an inner peace within that he'd never achieved before. Meanwhile, Desmond's bond with Olivia grew and their once-awkward relationship turned into a deepening friendship. 

     Desmond's bond with Sensei also began to enrich. Like Olivia, he would supply encouragement in a way that gave Desmond hope. For once in his life, he had people who believed in him. Desmond would train with Sensei from dawn until dusk on some occasions and he expanded from defensive techniques into something more offensive. He became faster, stronger, but, most of all, he became humble. The tranquil setting of the mountains established a deep sense of humility within Desmond that had never been present before. 

     It was on one, particular, day that it all peaked. Desmond had been training at the temple for nearly three months; a span of time so long that he had almost forgotten what civilization was like. He no longer lost control, or got into fights with Olivia. Desmond had become a changed man. 

     He and his mentor were having a mock-fight in the courtyard outside of the ancient temple. Both of them were squared-off against each other in a combative stance. Desmond held his ground, Sensei holding his; each stared into their opponent's eyes. 

     "Commence," Sensei ordered.

     Desmond lunged at Sensei, his enhanced body giving him the upper hand in speed. Sensei easily dodged and he lashed out at Desmond's chest. He blocked the swipe and grabbed his mentor's arm in a steady block. Sensei slid downward and unhinged his arm from Desmond's grasp, while he also turned with a swift kick to the leg. Desmond staggered but kept his eyes on his master.

     "Good," Sensei muttered with confidence.

     Desmond dodged another punch and slid to the side. He ducked from a kick and grabbed Sensei's arm, all the while pulling towards the ground. Desmond's strength was too much and Sensei's body flipped to the ground. He stood over his teacher; the student had finally surpassed the master.

     Sensei gasped for air, "You have learned much, Pierce."

     Pierce released his grip and held out his hand for Sensei, "Everything I know, I learned from you."

     Sensei chuckled, "Your offensive capabilities have improved, and your defensive techniques are marginally well."

     Desmond walked over to the sidelines where he had a towel, "So, you're saying that there's always room for improvement?"

     He nodded, "There always is, my apprentice. But, you have come a long way."

     Desmond wiped his head and stood for a moment, "Thank you. For...everything."

     Sensei nodded his head as he, too, wiped his brow with a towel, "You are, indeed, a warrior."

     Desmond bowed, out of respect, for his teacher. It was an act that he would never have agreed to do three months prior, but he had learned more than how to fight. He had learned humility and virtue.

     "May I ask a question?" Desmond inquired while he sat on a scrap of rubble.

     "Yes," Sensei replied.

     Desmond fiddled with the towel, "When we met, all those months ago, you said that the Black Dragon took things from you."

     Sensei nodded his head, "I do recall."

     He put the towel aside, "With all due respect, I am curious. What did they take from you?"

     Sensei sat next to Desmond, still breathing heavily from their mock-fight. However, he did not give a response.