Chapter 10

"For the past three months he was thought to be dead. Now, against all odds and everyone's wildest dreams, Desmond Pierce has shown himself to be alive and well. After landing on an airstrip in Nepal, he and a fellow captive of the Black Dragon were able to get safely back to America. When news reached the mainland the entire nation was in shock at what appeared to be a man back from the dead..."

     The T.V. continued to air the story while Desmond Pierce dressed himself, after his shower, in his hotel room. It'd been the first shower he'd taken in three months, or at least the first time he'd cleaned himself in one.

     Desmond turned off the T.V. before he left the hotel room and headed down to the lobby. Life back in civilization made Desmond's head spin, and not just because he had a House M.D. marathon the night he returned, but because he was glad to be back within the comforts of his old world again. Still, though, he was haunted, continuing to see traces of the man he used to be.

     As soon as they'd gotten back, Olivia had been whisked away by special agents probably working for C.I.N.A. Olivia had warned that it might happen and that she was going to need to be debriefed on everything that had happened to her since her team's disappearance. As soon as she left, Desmond felt an emotional hole open up within him. It felt like a piece of him had been taken away at her departure.

     Upon arrival, Desmond, unlike  Olivia, was greeted by a crowd of highly curious people who were perplexed at the idea of him still being alive (and also his new physical shape). One commented that he looked like something out of a comic book and another jousted a comment at him about being on steroids. Afterwords, Desmond had flagged away the paparazzi and had headed for the nearest hotel room so he could take a hot shower.

     Through the chaos, Desmond insisted on seeing Platinum Tower again. But from what he'd heard, though, there wasn't much to look forward to.

     Desmond stepped into his waiting limousine, straightening his tie. He'd packed up his stealth gear and hidden it away, instead replacing it with a snazzy suit in order to please the masses. Desmond watched, through tinted windows, the familiar city of Manhattan roll by. It was like witnessing an alien world compared to the constantly stunning scenery of mountains for three months. The towering skyscrapers and buildings reminded Desmond of the ruined temple...and also Sensei. He looked down at his hands, remembering all the lives he had taken in order to return. They would not be in vein; he would bring Sensei to justice.

     After a few minutes the vehicle stopped out in front of Platinum Tower and Desmond got out. He thanked the driver, something they looked rather surprised at, and gave his bodyguard the rest of the day off.

     "What?" the man asked.

     "Just go and have a nice day," Desmond said, getting out and tipping his limo driver.

     The limo pulled away and Desmond gaped at what had once been the pinnacle of architecture in the entire city. Explosions issued by the Black Dragon had creating monstrous holes in the structure, and most of the glass was missing. The building was charred black in some areas due to the damage and constant gusts of wind made dust curl off of its edges. Overall, the building was a ghost of what it had once been. As Desmond walked toward the metal fence that had been built around the structure, in an attempt to keep out looters, he could not help but notice several gang spray-painting jobs that had been done to the building's walls.

     "Hey!" a woman called while walking past Desmond.

     Desmond turned but received a face-full of spit from the passerby.

     "Scumbag!" the woman cackled. "Where are your bodyguards? Where's your money?"

     Desmond brushed the spittle from his face and sighed, it was going to take a while for people to view him differently. He looked away from the woman and unlocked the fence gate with a key he had been given in order to have access. Hesitantly, he stepped inside.