Chapter 12

Desmond opened his eyes and stared out in front of him. There was a wave of fire surrounding him as he came to his senses. When his eyes adjusted he could see that his entire body was encased in a realm of flowing green energy. Desmond's body began to move out of the explosion, unscathed, and move toward the coastline. He gaped in awe, seeing the smoke billowing from the remnants of the airplane that smoldered in the water below.

     "Whoa..." he said, his body was moving closer to the city. As he neared the land he could see a woman with brown hair, and her eyes closed, concentrating with intensity.

     It was Olivia.

     A feeling of immense joy, elation, and relief filled Desmond at the sight of his old friend. Desmond was placed gently on the ground and he simply stared in astonishment at her.

     Olivia held up her hand, "Sorry I wasn't able to help you out at the hangar..."

     But Desmond didn't let her finish. He embraced her before she could speak any more. Desmond held her body, caressing it and not wanting to let go. At that moment, at that specific time, he had never felt more complete. It was then that he realized: he needed Olivia.

     "I've been in an intense debriefing the last several days," Olivia stammered as she, too, was overcome with some emotion. "Everything was cut short, though, when news of a Black Dragon operation being discovered was heard..." Olivia looked out across the water. "There was also a police report of a samurai vigilante."

      "I...uh...," Desmond started, while he shook his head. "Yeah, that was...uh, me. But how did you know I was on the plane?"

     "We heard your broadcast," Olivia answered, looking into his eyes. "But you weren't able to hear us because you weren't on the right frequency. That's when I was dispatched out here."

     "Who dispatched you?" asked Desmond.

     "C.I.N.A.," answered Olivia. "But that's not important."

     Desmond opened his mouth and began to say something, but stopped.

     "The Shadow escaped," Olivia flatly stated. "His goons are being taken in but he himself is not in custody."

      "So he's still out there?" asked Desmond. "He can create more bombs?"

     Olivia averted his gaze. 

     Desmond sighed, "Then it isn't over."

      A small group of people had begun to form around the two as they talked. Looks of disbelief creased their faces upon seeing Desmond Pierce with Olivia.

     "Is that Desmond Pierce?" someone asked, raising their iPhone to take a picture.

     "It's never going to be over," said Olivia, braking away and gesturing for him to follow her. "Come with me though."

     "You know..." Desmond stopped in his tracks. "How about...we get a drink?"

     Olivia seemed a little flabbergasted, "What are..."

     Desmond chuckled at the absurdity of the situation. Moments prior he had just escaped death by plane, but now he was asking a girl out.

     Desmond smiled, standing in front of her, "A drink. You know, what people do when they want to get to know each other better..."

     Olivia gave him a fond look, a smile tugging at the corners of her lips, "I'd like that."

     He smiled back, looking at her face, "I would say that we've...done enough for today."