Chapter 8

"No!" Desmond screamed, running back into the temple. "Olivia! Sensei!"

     His hair was flying wildly as one of the helicopters landed feet away from him. There were gunshots and Desmond flung himself to the ground. He could hear shouts before someone roughly grabbed his hair and tossed him out onto the snowy clearing outside of the temple.

     "Stay down!" a voice yelled, above the thumping helicopters, while Desmond felt a barrel against the back of his head.

     Moments later, screams could be heard while Olivia and Sensei were dragged out of the temple and thrown onto the ground beside Desmond. Desmond looked to the side and could see that Olivia was glaring at her captive and Sensei had a look of complete petrified expression on his face.

     "Hands on your heads!" the soldier shouted, the three obeying.

     A cold chill passed down Desmond's spine: it was his fault. Had he been more careful the surveillance helicopters would not have seen him.

     "I don't understand," Olivia whispered. "How did they find us?"

     Desmond shook his head, staring at the ground, "I'm sorry....I'm so sorry..."

     "No talking!" the soldier said, the barrel pressing harder into Desmond's head.

     "What do we do do?" a soldier asked another.

     "It's them," another said. "I'd know Desmond Pierce anywhere. Call the master."

     Desmond looked up and cringed, seeing the same bald-headed man from the Black Dragon facility. He grinned at Desmond mischievously and he looked away.

     "I'll radio him now," a soldier said, strolling over to a nearby helicopter.

     Desmond looked to his side and Sensei began to mouth out words:

     "Go now!" he mouthed urgently. "Leave me!"

     Desmond shook his head; he could not leave his teacher.

     They waited for several minutes, out in the cold, without talking to one another. The silence was nauseating and meanwhile the soldiers whispered to each other urgently. Desmond knew that the slightest movement would bring death, so he locked all of his muscles in place and stayed very still. All they could do was wait in an agonizing way. Olivia stared ahead silently and Sensei seemed like he was praying, muttering inaudible words under his breath with his eyes closed.

     As for Desmond, he sat in shock.

     Meanwhile, the soldiers shifted amongst themselves uneasily, clearly scared of the temple.

     "How long is he going to take?" one soldier whispered, looking at the looming structure.

     "Any moment now," another replied. "Don't have fear..."

     After about thirty minutes another helicopter could be heard off in the distance. It approached them, sending waves of snow everywhere, and landed a ways off from the others. A walking ramp was laid out and a figure strolled down the steps accompanied by several soldiers. Desmond raised his eyes and saw an imposing man dressed in a dark suit, shrouding himself in a thick cloak. As he approached Desmond could make out the characteristics more clearly. He knew it was who Olivia referred to as the Shadow; the leader of the Black Dragon.

     He had thick, black hair combed back and dark, menacing eyes. His face was roughly shaven and a scar snaked its way across one of his eyes. The Shadow's face was finely chiseled and his body thick with muscle. He walked with an air of prominence and superiority, sweeping the ground with his billowing cloak that seemed to absorb the night. As he got closer, Desmond judged him to be well above six feet tall; a naturally imposing height.