Chapter Five

I tugged the curtains over the windowsill to block the streaks of moonlight that illuminated my room. I switched off the lights and hopped into the unfamiliar bed. I had finally eased my nerves from the day’s events when my laptop made an obnoxious ‘ding’, indicating I had a Facebook message. I sighed, debating on whether it was worth it to go and read. I groaned and thrust myself out of bed, landing on the floor with a thump. I almost dropped my laptop right on the floor when I saw who the inbox was from.

Niall Horan.

I looked in confusion and partial shock as I sunk down into the cushioned white chair. He must have found my Facebook through Chloe’s, I suppose. I read the text that flashed on the screen.

Hey Brooke, it’s Niall. I’m not sure if you’re online or not, but hopefully you’ll read this sooner or later.

I lay back on the chair, waiting for his next message to pop up.

I really hope I didn’t make your first day in Ireland terrible. I know you probably believe Chloe, about the whole cheating thing, because I was flirting with you. But honestly, I’ve never cheated on a girl in my entire life.

He took a few moments before he sent the next message so I waited patiently at my desk.

You’re only the second girl I’ve ever talked to at the airport. The first was who Chloe thought I was cheating on her with, but it was all just a big mistake. I don’t really like talking about it.

It almost seemed as if he were talking to himself, rather than to me.

Well, I guess I didn’t have to type that. It’s not like you’re in front of me, asking me what’s wrong. It was a mistake, it all was. Chlo saw me buying a girl ice cream, and then we hugged. I don’t even know the girl’s name. Oh god, why am I telling you this? Didn’t I just say I didn’t want to talk about it? Whatever, maybe you won’t even read this anyway.

I can’t really say why I was buying her ice cream. Then that would involve me explaining why I’m at the airport all of the time, and I’m not ready for that. That’s why Chloe thinks I was cheating; because I wouldn’t explain why I was there.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say I don’t go to the airport to flirt with random girls; I’m not a player or anything like that. I went to talk to you because there was something about you that I couldn’t help but feel drawn to. I can’t explain it very well, but I just wanted to know you. See your smile, and stuff.