Chapter Seven

"This," Niall extended his toned arms out. "is the Royal Canal. Isn't it beautiful?" Sarcasm dripped from his voice.

I tilted my head, studying the wafting muddy waters that travelled slowly beneath me. Even I had to admit it wasn't the most spectacular thing I'd ever seen. The framing flowers surrounding it were alright, but the waterway itself was kind of depressing.

"I told you this town was boring." Niall sighed, defeated. He kicked a few small pebbles around near his feet. "Even the canal sucks."

"No, no. I've seen much worse." I ineffectively attempted to assure him.

Niall laughed. "Worse than a crummy waterway that's used solely for dumping trash? Wow, I'm impressed."

"Okay, the canal sucks. But the town itself doesn't." I confessed.

Niall grinned, the dimple reforming on his cheek. "I think you're fooled by the idea of a foreign country. Get back to me in a few weeks and you'll have changed your mind. Ireland's not fun when you're actually born here."

"Ireland's gorgeous."

"So is America." Niall peered at me through the corner of his eye, a smirk prancing onto his face. I knew exactly what he was expected-he thought I would say that America was boring, and thus proving his point his whole 'Ireland's not fun when you're actually born here" theory. I decided not to give him the satisfaction, though.

"America is beautiful." I said, loving the way confusion covered Niall's face adorably.

"Where are you from?" He stumbled.

"Phoenix, Arizona."

Niall nodded and I could detect a new argument forming itself behind his soulful eyes. "Do you think Phoenix is beautiful?"

"I know where you're going with this." I chuckled. "No, I don't think Phoenix is spectacular-it's too crowded and city-like for my preference. But just because I don't adore where I live doesn't mean the rest of the country isn't beautiful. I imagine that Yellowstone National Park, the Virgin Islands, and even Honolulu are quite picturesque."

Niall's eyes brightened with something I'd been trained to fear: mischief. You didn't need to be a genius to figure out that Niall was silently forming some sort of plan in his head. I didn't even know what it was and I already knew it was something I would typically go along with. I was a thinker-always following my brain rather than my heart. Logic and common sense were two of my favourite things. I thought through situations in my head a million times over before they actually even happened. If there was any doubt of success I would just avoid it all together.

Before I'd come to meet Niall this morning, my stomach was already churning with many different thoughts.

I wasn't the kind of girl who went out and did things on a whim, but the spark in Niall's baby blues was enough to tell me that he was.

- - -

The message I'd received from Niall that night had tipped me even further over the edge.

To: Brooke

I felt my fingers hover precariously overtop of the mouse as I fought the urge to continue scrolling. I knew what Niall was sending me was bad news, due to his vast departure at the canal this morning. He had left me stranded, calling out quickly behind his shoulder, "Check your Facebook tonight. I've got a plan."

Those last few words continuously rang in my head. Sophie usually used the same phrase before she would get us into huge trouble back at home. Sophie and differed greatly-she'd been arrested, while my idea of a wild night was putting extra butter on my popcorn.

They say the best way for two people to truly get to know each other is to throw them into unexpected, life-threatening situation. So, I guess that's what I'm proposing to you-not the life-threatening part, though. I've already spoken to your aunt and she granted me her approval. Please meet me at the graveyard tomorrow at 9:30am. Bring a backpack with clothes, a camera, money, and anything else you desire. You aren't going to need much else.

We're going on an adventure.

Niall didn't bother to sign it, so that last words of the message stuck in my head.

They screeched at me while I nibbled on my dinner, pounded on me while I showered, and settled into my deepest thoughts as I tossed and turned in bed.

What exactly did he mean by 'adventure'? What exactly did I get myself into?

I didn't just do big things, like adventures, without more than a month's worth of planning. I definitely didn't go on adventures with guys I just met. No matter how sweet or trustworthy they appeared to be.

I lived for lucidity, for structure, for routine, even. It had taken a lot of lectures from Sophie just to get me on the plane to Ireland. I knew Ireland would be good for me-great, actually. But the doubts of the whole thing never vacated my mind for the entirety of the four months leading up to the trip.

If Jake hadn't have dumped me two weeks before my flight was scheduled, I honestly would be tanning by his pool right now. Truly, I had only entertained the thought of Ireland for my mother and Sophie's sakes, but losing the only boy I had ever felt remotely anything for had changed my mind completely.

So here I was, expecting to relax and forget about my love life for a while, but now finding myself sucked into a crazy, unknown adventure with by far the most attractive boy I'd ever seen.