Chapter Fifteen

I found myself getting increasingly curious as to where we were going as we travelled the same path we had to the zoo. I almost considered asking but then I remembered rule number two. Niall was fairly silent, although he’d glance over at me every few minutes as if to say something, but he’d just turn back around and continue walking.

I sneakily used the seconds he wasn’t looking at me to stare at him. He looked even more flawless than usual—and I’d found that hard to believe possible. He was dressed in loose jeans, sneakers, and light-blue button-up. As per usual, his adorable blonde hair was poking out in various directions—he’d probably just run his hand through it. His shirt reflected in the sparkle in his blue eyes better than I could have ever thought possible. Somehow he managed to look fancy and casual at the same time. He slung his heavy backpack over his shoulder.

Our eyes met and he smiled softly, turning his mouth up in the corners. “We’re almost there.”

I nodded quietly, noticing the group of men, women, and children that were headed in the same direction as us. Most women were wearing sundresses, the men dressed similarly to Niall.

Niall noticed my change in focus. “It really isn’t that big of a deal, where we’re going. Some people just like to dress nice, I guess.” Niall assured me, peeking at me from under his eyelashes. “I got you the dress anyways, though.”

“The dress is absolutely perfect Niall, but you didn’t have to buy it for me.” He’d refused when I attempted to pay him back.

“I saw it in the window and it just reminded me so much of you. I thought you’d like it.”

“I do like it. A lot, actually.” I really thought I should thank him by giving him a hug or even a peck on the cheek, but before I had the chance, he started talking once again.

“You look really pretty, Bee.” Niall’s blush was so red that it would’ve been visible from a mile away. This of course made my cheeks turn crimson too. “I know you probably don’t like it when I say stuff like that or whatever, but it’s honestly true. I wanted you to know.” He looked away at the same time that I did. “You always look really pretty.”

“Well, you’re just drop dead gorgeous, Niall.” I blurted out before I could stop myself. “I—I mean, um, you look really good tonight.” My weak attempt to cover up my word vomit was pathetic, causing me to blush even more. His pink, full lips parted into a smile and I could tell he didn’t mind what I said.