Chapter 10: A New Year

It was the beginning of a new year. Fireworks went up in the sky, illuminating the night sky. I called Miss Mary to greet her a Happy New Year. "Hello? Ayana, Happy New Year! Are you going to watch the first sunrise this year?" Watching the first sunrise was a tradition back at the orphanage. We would stay up until the first sunrise. I remember seeing it as a child. I would always be excited. I miss the orphanage and everyone there. "Of course I'll watch the first sunrise! I may not be there, but I've watched it since I was little. So why should I stop now?" Miss Mary laughed at this. Then I heard children pleading and asking Miss Mary to give them the phone. "Ayana it seems the children wish to speak with you. I'll put you on speaker." Once Miss Mary put me on speaker, I heard the orphans yell. I laughed at this. I miss them so much. "Hi everyone! Happy New Year! I miss you guys so much! Are you going to watch the first sunrise?" "Yeah! We miss you Janelle," they all said. "I'm sorry that this year I can't make my cookies for you guys, but I promise to send the recipe to Miss Mary so you can make them. I know that Miss Lily will help you." I heard cheers on the other side of the phone. Then I heard Miss Mary say, "Alright now, it's time to say goodbye to Janelle." "Goodbye Janelle!" Then I heard Miss Mary once more. "They really do miss you Ayana. They still call you Janelle. Well then, Happy New Year Ayana." "Thank you Miss Mary. Happy New Year!" Then she hung up.

Aaron walked up to me and said, "Ayana, you should get some sleep. You have to wake up early for your surprise later." I nodded. "What time are we leaving and is Kate coming?" "Around 5:00 and yes. She's asleep right now." I replied, "Alright then. Happy New Year Aaron!" "Happy New Year Ayana." I left and walked back to my room.

I sat down on my bed and texted the recipe to Miss Mary. I'm so excited for the surprise later. Before the New Year, we made an announcement that the Royal Family has a surprise for the citizens of Clari. Since it's a new year, I want to start it by doing something for my people. If they wish to see the surprise, they were to go to the recreation center at seven in the morning. Everyone was invited. If you were rich or poor. We even invited those who were homeless or had no family. My surprise for them was a delicious meal and to supply them with blankets and other necessities. This event is to last all day and I am to prepare the meals for many people. It's hard work but, this is all we can do for them for now. Aaron and I are doing everything we can so that there would be less or no homeless people. I set my alarm and went to sleep.

A few hours later, I woke up and got ready. Although I will be cooking, I still have to show my face and look presentable. I choose a comfortable dress to move in and put my hair up in a bun. By the time I entered the car, Luis and my family was already inside. There will be other cars that would be following us. The chefs happily agreed to help me with this, as well as the other servants. They promised to help set up and serve the citizens. When this is over, I have a surprise for them as well. On the way to recreation center, the sun was peeking out of the mountains. I'm sure that this sunrise will be the most beautiful I've ever seen. We finally arrived at the recreation center and the first thing I saw was the beautiful sunrise. I've never seen a more beautiful sunrise. I've must have been staring because Luis looked at me and called out to me. "Ayana is everything alright?" I nodded. "I'm fine Luis. I'm just admiring the sunrise." He nodded, understanding why I was staring at the sky. "It is beautiful indeed, but it's cold outside. We don't want you to get sick." "Alright Luis." We entered the large room where the event was to be held. I ordered the servants to get tables and chairs and to set the table. Then I said to Luis, "Do you have the menus I asked you to prepare prior to this?" He nodded and showed me one of them. They looked amazing. "Good job Luis. Thank you. Also do you have the necessities for the homeless?" He replied, "Of course. There in the other cars and I had asked a few servants to bring them out. I also asked them to bring out the ingredients you need for the food." I smiled at him. He's always on top of things. "Thank you Luis."